Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis and Statistics

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    I have a degree in Engineering. Now I am back to school, for a 2 year Master's degree in Statistics. The second semester just started. And there will be a 3rd. Is there a chance that I will need complex numbers? My background in Complex Analysis is very limited. Should I study any Complex Analysis? What books?
    This is a Statistics course, so they don't teach other than Statistics! At least that's how it was in the 1st semester.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

If you take mathematical statistics courses, or a course in probability theory, you may, depending on the level, see some complex analysis ideas relating to characteristic functions of distributions.
    I think it is far more likely that your multivariate calculus and linear algebra skills will be important, if your classes center on applications.
  4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

These are the courses we are going to have this semester:

Bayesian statistics
    Experimental design
    Space-time statistics
    Multivariate statistics
    Survival analysis

For the 3rd semester we don't know yet. There is a list of options. From which a few will be voted by the students. And yes, "Mathematical statistics" is on the list.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook