Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Confessions of a moderate Bayesian, part 1
Bayesian statistics by and for non-statisticians
https://www.cafepress.com/physicsforums.13265286
Background
I am a statistics enthusiast, although I am not a statistician. My training is in biomedical engineering, and I have been heavily involved in research and development of novel medical imaging technologies for the bulk of my career. Due to my enjoyment of statistics and my professional research needs I was usually the author in charge of the statistical analysis of most of our papers.
In the course of that work I developed an interest in and an appreciation of Bayesian statistics, which I have used in the analysis of most of my more recent projects. I have published the Bayesian analysis of some of these studies, although more were done in addition to standard (published) frequentist analysis.
This article will be a quick and practical how-to on getting started doing...
Continue reading...

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, WWGD, atyy and 8 others

Answers and Replies

Nice article, @Dale!

Bayesian thinking has also been interesting and confusing to me. I read about it and understand it until I try to explain it and then I just don't have the proper intuition to understand its deeper meaning.

Likes Dale
Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
I plan on following up with some more articles that will deal with Bayesian probability itself and the use of Bayesian statistics in science. I agree that it can be a little hard at first too.

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Although I took a course as an undergraduate ostensibly covering Bayesian models, I realize I learned approximately nothing!! (I believe it was in the psych dept....part of rounding out my bachelor of arts)
That being said I have learned much from your various explanations and look forward to the article(s). Thanks.

Likes WWGD, Greg Bernhardt and Dale
Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
That being said I have learned much from your various explanations and look forward to the article(s).
I appreciate that! Hopefully I can get the next one fleshed out tonight or tomorrow.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although I took a course as an undergraduate ostensibly covering Bayesian models, I realize I learned approximately nothing!! (I believe it was in the psych dept....part of rounding out my bachelor of arts)
That being said I have learned much from your various explanations and look forward to the article(s). Thanks.
That may just be your prior. Let's ask you a few questions to test your knowledge to get a posterior, like I did when I asked to show full work in an exam, given a Prior: " Show your Posterior" . Won't make that mistake again ;)

Likes hutchphd
Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Link points to the PF Shop, not the Insights .
It seems to be working now, but I didn’t do anything to fix it

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
May just be my PC. This is what I am getting:

1606971048548.png

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Never mind. I had run out of my monthly data allotment and I get weird stuff like this occasionally.

EDIT: Have you used R within Jupyter? Jupyter stands for : Julya, Python and R. Now too, SQL Server Developer 2017 has both R and a Python Servers.

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Never mind. I had run out of my monthly data allotment and I get weird stuff like this occasionally.

EDIT: Have you used R within Jupyter? Jupyter stands for : Julya, Python and R. Now too, SQL Server Developer 2017 has both R and a Python Servers.
I have not. I tried to get Jupyter set up because it sounded useful to have both Python and R together and I was curious about Julia. But my installation didn't work the first time around so I didn't pursue it further.

Likes WWGD