1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis - Differentiability

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the function f defined by [itex]f(z) = 3\,{x}^{2}y+{y}^{3}-6\,{y}^{2}+i \left( 2\,{y}^{3}+6\,{y}^{2}+9\,x
    \right) [/itex] is nowhere differentiable.

3. The attempt at a solution

Computing the C.R equations for this, I am left with

[itex]{y}^{2}+2\,y={\it xy}[/itex]

and

[itex]x^2+(y-2)^2 = 1[/itex]

Now from the upper equation we can see that [itex]x={\frac {{y}^{2}+2\,y}{y}}[/itex]

This means that there is a discontinuity at y = 0, and therefore this function is not differentiable?

I somehow don't think is right as it would mean it's only not differentiable at that point, not necessarily everywhere, how would I go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2
    x and y are real numbers right? So, is there ever a real solution to those two equations? That is can you substitute x=f(y) of one into the other, make a polynomial out of it, then solve for the roots? If those roots are only complex, then the CR equations are never satisfied.

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    [tex]u_y = 3x^2 + 3y^2 - 12y = -9 = -v_x\Rightarrow x^2 + y(y -4) = -3[/tex]

I think part of your CR has a mistake.

5. Apr 24, 2012 #4
    I just completed the square, so y(y - 4) becomes (y-2)^2 and the addition of the 4 means the other side of equation becomes 1.

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5
    Ah yes, I see now. Thanks for that!

I got two sets of complex roots because I solved for two values of y, and when I substituted those, both results were complex. If only one were complex would that mean it's still differentiable but at that point?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. Apr 25, 2012 #6
    It would be differentialbe where ever x and y are real and satisfy the CR equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook