Complex analysis: U-V transformations.

In summary, the topic being discussed is ODE's and complex analysis, specifically transformations of points in the complex plane. The speaker is struggling to understand how to apply a transformation to a given point, despite having completed a few practice problems. They are asking for clarification and examples to better grasp the concept. An equation in the complex plane represents a group of points, and applying a transformation to those points will result in a new group of points. For instance, a circle with radius 1 centered at the origin will become a circle with radius 4 centered at the origin after the given transformation is applied.
Lavabug
I'm a bit lost on this part of my course (ODE's and complex analysis). We've only done about 2-3 of these (seemingly simple) problems where we're given the equation of a line or circle in the complex plane and are asked to find its image in the U-V plane with some transformation [tex]\omega[/tex], but I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've checked Spiegel's complex variables book but I can't get a feel for what I'm doing. Can anyone please explain this to me and/or direct me to some examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you're given some point in the complex plane, such as 3 + 4i. If you then apply some function to that point, such as f(z) = 4z, you have a transformation on that point. In this case, f(3+4i) = 4(3 + 4i) = 12 + 16i. The original point 3+4i is mapped to the new point 12+16i.

An equation is just a representation of a bunch of different points. Each of those points is going to have a corresponding point after the transformation has been applied.

For example, the equation |z| = 1 represents a circle of radius 1, centered at the origin. The above transformation applied to every point in |z| = 1 will result in a new circle that is 4 times bigger, but still centered at the origin.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It deals with properties and behaviors of complex-valued functions, which are functions that have complex numbers as both the input and output.

2. What is a U-V transformation?

A U-V transformation, also known as a conformal mapping, is a transformation that preserves angles between intersecting curves. In complex analysis, it refers specifically to a transformation that maps a region in the complex plane to another region in the complex plane, while preserving the angles between curves in both regions.

3. What is the importance of U-V transformations in complex analysis?

U-V transformations are important in complex analysis because they allow us to study complex functions by mapping them to simpler, known functions. This allows us to gain a better understanding of the behavior of complex functions and solve problems in a more efficient manner.

4. What are some common examples of U-V transformations?

Some common examples of U-V transformations include the logarithmic transformation, the exponential transformation, and the inverse trigonometric transformations. These transformations are often used to map more complicated regions in the complex plane to simpler ones, making it easier to analyze complex functions.

5. How are U-V transformations related to complex differentiation?

U-V transformations are closely related to complex differentiation, as they can be used to find the derivative of a complex function. By using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which describe the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex function, we can determine the derivative of a complex function using U-V transformations.