Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integration and Calc. of complex functions

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I would like to learn some contour integration and complex analysis at the simplest level possible. My maths education only goes up to A Level, so I haven't covered any "calculus of complex functions" yet, and with the books I'm trying to read at the moment I keep getting stuck because I can't do contour integrals in the complex plane. Could anyone give a brief explanation of contour integration, or link to a document that explains it in simple terms for a beginner?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Complex integration is usually part of a semester long course in complex variables. You usually need exposure to things like Green's Theorem and other vector calculus theorems as a pre-requisite.

You can google "complex integration" and find various hits for relevant techniques.

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3
    Thank you. I have had a look at some methods online, but I would like to learn in a little more detail. I have also looked at some lecture notes on the topic, but as I mainly want to learn about it in order to understand physics, it is hard to see which parts are the most relevant. Do you know of any undergraduate-level Mathematical methods books for physicists that explain this well?

5. Mar 8, 2014 #4
    Visual Complex Analysis has the best explanation. Two different explanations, one in terms of Riemann sums, and the other in terms of vector fields.

6. Mar 11, 2014 #5
    If you just want to be able to apply the techniques, and have some vague intuition about it you could try Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook