Complex Conjugate of Wave Function

In summary: A|\psi|^2 = \langle...A|A^*\psi|^2$$And the expectation of the joint distribution of two observables is$$\langle...A,B|\psi|^2 = \langle...A|AB^*\psi|^2$$The complex conjugate of the expectation of a joint distribution is just the expectation of the product of the individual expectations,$$\langle...A,B|\psi|^2 = \langle...A|AB^*A^*\psi|^2$$This is why the complex conjugate is needed in these contexts.
Icycub
TL;DR Summary
Question about taking the complex conjugate of functions
I've been studying quantum mechanics this semester in school and have ran into an issue I can't find an answer for. I understand why we take the complex conjugate of the wave function, such as when calculating expectation values. I'm a little confused though as to why we take the complex conjugate of a function whenever multiplying any two functions, such as ψ*_nψ_m. What would be the benefit of this? Does this still remove all imaginary numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Icycub said:
I'm a little confused though as to why we take the complex conjugate of a function whenever multiplying any two functions, such as ψ*_nψ_m.

You don't take a complex conjugate whenever you multiply any two functions in QM. You only do it in specific contexts. In what context are you seeing a product like ##\psi_n^* \psi_m##?

etotheipi said:
Normally it’s because ##z z^* = |z|^2##, which is just a real number, i.e. the modulus ##z## squared. If ##z## is the wave function, then its modulus squared is a probability amplitude!

Note that the OP isn't talking about taking the squared modulus of a single wave function. The OP is talking about expressions that involve two different wave functions.

Likes etotheipi
The text uses that notation when discussing the orthogonality of the spatial solutions to the infinite square well. It also uses it when introducing the notation for the inner product of two functions.

Likes etotheipi
PeterDonis said:
Note that the OP isn't talking about taking the squared modulus of a single wave function. He's talking about expressions that involve two different wave functions.

Yeah, I re-read the post and then noticed the subscripts were different. But in that case I don’t really understand the question, since it’s perfectly fine mathematically to multiply ##\psi_n \psi_m##, or ##\psi_n ^* \psi_m^*## or whatever combination you like, since they’re just complex numbers. Whether or not it’s a useful quantity is a different question!

I may be overthinking it, but I'm just confused about the purpose of it? Why do the complex conjugate of one of the functions? The text seems to do this whenever multiplying any two functions.

Yes, it's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics Third Edition by Griffiths.

Icycub said:
The text uses that notation when discussing the orthogonality of the spatial solutions to the infinite square well. It also uses it when introducing the notation for the inner product of two functions.

Ah okay, I think I understand the question. Basically a complex inner product space has an inner product which satisfies ##\langle x, y \rangle = \overline{\langle y, x \rangle}##, is linear in the second argument ##\langle x, c_1y_1 + c_2 y_2 \rangle = c_1 \langle x, y_1 \rangle + c_2 \langle x, y_2 \rangle## [and by extension conjugate linear in the first argument], and it's positive definite. This inner product in ##\mathbb{C}^n## looks like$$\langle x, y \rangle = \sum_i \overline{x_i} y_i$$You need the complex conjugate in there, so that the norm makes sense (##|v| = \sqrt{\langle v , v \rangle}##); to see why, try considering the vector ##iv## and its inner product ##\langle iv, iv \rangle## (credit to @Infrared from a previous thread, for this example!)!

You can also consider things like a space of complex-valued continuous functions which has an inner product like$$\langle f, g \rangle = \int \overline{f(x)} g(x) dx$$In exactly the same way, if your spatial solutions to the infinite square well are orthogonal then they'll satisfy$$\langle \psi_n | \psi_m \rangle = \int \psi_n^*(x) \psi_m(x) dx = 0$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeterDonis
Sorry, I don't think I fully understand the reasoning. I've just now started Chp. 3 in the text which begins to discuss linear algebra in QM. In general, in QM, what would be the benefit of doing the complex conjugate whenever multiplying any two functions?

So using the complex conjugate ensures that the square root of the inner product of two vectors is positive?

It's how the inner product in a complex inner product space is defined, specifically because it must be positive definite. If we didn't conjugate one of the terms in the inner product, then $$\langle iv, iv \rangle = \sum_a i^2 {v_a}^2 = \sum_a - {v_a}^2 < 0$$Instead, if we define the inner product so that one of the terms is conjugated,$$\langle iv, iv \rangle = \sum_a -i^2 {v_a}^2 = \sum_a {v_a}^2 > 0$$And now we can relax, since ##|iv| = \sqrt{\langle iv, iv \rangle}## makes sense.

Icycub said:
In general, in QM, what would be the benefit of doing the complex conjugate whenever multiplying any two functions?

You don't, you can multiply whatever you want, e.g. ##\psi_n(x) \psi_m(x)##, or ##\psi^*_n(x) \psi_m(x)##, or ##\psi_n(x) \psi^*_m(x)##, or ##\psi^*_n(x) \psi^*_m(x)## are all just complex numbers.

It's just that a lot of structures are defined in the pattern you mentioned (how the inner product is defined), because a lot of structures are related to the inner product. E.g. if the state of the system is ##\psi##, then the expectation of an observable ##A## is$$\langle A \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat{A} | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat{A} \psi \rangle$$or $$\langle A \rangle = \int \psi^* (\hat{A} \psi) dx = \int \psi^* \hat{A} \psi dx$$

Okay, thanks!

Icycub said:
So using the complex conjugate ensures that the square root of the inner product of two vectors is positive?
For complex valued square-integrable functions:
$$\langle f|g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x)^*g(x)dx$$
Defines an inner product. Exercise: check the properties of an inner product. Whereas:
$$\langle f|g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x)g(x)dx$$
Does not define an inner product. Exercise: which properties does it fail to have?

For complex functions you want to define a complex Hilbert space, i.e., a complex vector space with a scalar product. In complex vector spaces you have to define
$$\langle \psi_1|\psi_2 \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi_1^*(x) \psi_2(x),$$
so that the "square"
$$\langle \psi|\psi \rangle \geq 0.$$
You also want to have it positive definite, i.e.,
$$\langle \psi|\psi \rangle=0 \; \Leftrightarrow \psi=0.$$
This implies that we have to define a function already as 0, if
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi^*(x) \psi(x)=0.$$

1. What is the complex conjugate of a wave function?

The complex conjugate of a wave function is a mathematical operation that involves taking the complex conjugate of each term in the wave function. Essentially, it is a way to find the mirror image of the original wave function in the complex plane.

2. Why is the complex conjugate of a wave function important?

The complex conjugate of a wave function is important because it allows us to calculate the probabilities of quantum mechanical events. By taking the complex conjugate of the wave function and multiplying it by the original wave function, we can find the probability of a particle being in a certain state.

3. How is the complex conjugate of a wave function related to the Schrödinger equation?

The complex conjugate of a wave function is used in the Schrödinger equation to calculate the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system. It is used in conjunction with the Hamiltonian operator to determine the energy levels and behavior of particles in a given system.

4. Can the complex conjugate of a wave function be a complex number?

Yes, the complex conjugate of a wave function can be a complex number. This is because the complex conjugate operation involves taking the complex conjugate of each term in the wave function, which can result in complex numbers. However, the final result of multiplying the wave function by its complex conjugate will always be a real number, representing the probability of a particle being in a certain state.

5. How is the complex conjugate of a wave function used in quantum mechanics?

The complex conjugate of a wave function is used in quantum mechanics to calculate probabilities and determine the behavior of particles in a quantum mechanical system. It is also used in the Schrödinger equation to find the time evolution of a system. Additionally, the complex conjugate of a wave function is used in the calculation of inner products, which are important in quantum mechanics for determining the overlap between two states.