Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex conjugates of functions

1. Aug 25, 2013 #1
    I am looking at a complex function f(z) and want to know something about f(z)f*(1/z*). We could assume for now that f(z) is analytic or at least meromorphic. Are there any identities involving this product? Is there any way to decompose the f*(1/z*) into a function of f?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2013 #2
    Caveat: You mean "a complex function ##f##." ##f(z)## is the image (or "output") of ##z## under the function ##f##. This is a common abuse of notation.

Suppose ##f(x+iy)= u(x,y)+iv(x,y)##, where ##u## and ##v## are real-valued functions. Then, we have that ##\bar{f}(\frac{1}{x-iy})=\bar{f}(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}+i\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})=u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})-iv(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})##.

Thus, we have ##f(z)\bar{f}(\bar{z}^{-1})=u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})u(x,y)+v(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{y}{x^2+y^2})v(x,y)+i (u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}) v(x,y)-v(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}) u(x,y))##.

4. Aug 25, 2013 #3
    Hi, I'll try not to write f(z) when I mean f. I already know that 1/z* = z/|z|. I had hoped there are some standard indentities or inequalities involving f(z)f*(1/z*).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted