Topology - Boundary of a ball without a point

In summary: In this case, the set is the ball with radius 1 starting at the origin. If we remove the origin point, the boundary will still include all points at a distance 1 from the origin, which includes the point 0 itself. Therefore, the boundary is the union of |z|=1 and |z|=0. In summary, the boundary of the ball with radius 1 starting at the origin is the union of |z|=1 and |z|=0, even if the point 0 is removed from the set.
physics1000
TL;DR Summary
Let us say we have f analytic in Ball_1(0).
which means, radius 1, starting at z_0 = 0 point.
If I want to find the boundary of Ball_1(0).
Will the boundary be {0} or {empty}?
Not homework, just an intuition to understand f(z)=1/z function ( for example ) better.
Let us say we have f analytic in ##Ball_1(0)##. which means, radius 1, starting at ##z_0 = 0## point. If I want to find the boundary of ##Ball_1(0)##. Will the boundary be ##{0}## or ##{\emptyset}##? Not homework, just an intuition to understand ##f(z)=\frac 1 z## function ( for example ) better.

Physics news on Phys.org
As stated, assuming real space of n dimensions, the boundary consists of all points at a distance 1 from the origin. Your statement is confusing? What has f to do with the ball boundary?

Likes wrobel
Hi, it does not matter anymore.
Asked someone from my course which I trust and he said to me the answer :)
Basically, As I said.
At complex analysis.
If you have the Ball I said, with radius 1 and it beginning at point zero.
If you create the set of that ball without the point zero, then the boundary will be the unision of ##|z|=1## and ##|z|=0##
Thanks though

I suspect that "someone which you trust" will get the same unsatisfactory mark at an exam as you :)

wrobel said:
I suspect that "someone which you trust" will get the same unsatisfactory mark at an exam as you :)
They're not wrong though, op just phrased it confusingly. Op is asking if you remove the point 0 from the ball, is it now a boundary point? The answer is yes it is.

In a metric space, the boundary of a set S is the set of points at distance 0 from the set.

1. What is the boundary of a ball without a point?

The boundary of a ball without a point is known as the topological boundary. It is the set of points that are on the edge of the ball and do not belong to the interior of the ball.

2. How is the boundary of a ball without a point different from a regular ball?

The main difference between the boundary of a ball without a point and a regular ball is that the boundary of the former does not include a single point, while the latter includes all the points on its surface.

3. Can the boundary of a ball without a point be empty?

No, the boundary of a ball without a point cannot be empty. It always contains at least one point, which is the point that was removed to create the ball without a point.

4. What is the significance of the boundary of a ball without a point in topology?

The boundary of a ball without a point is a key concept in topology as it helps define the topological properties of a space. It is used to distinguish between open and closed sets, and to define the interior and exterior of a set.

5. How is the boundary of a ball without a point related to the concept of a limit?

The boundary of a ball without a point is closely related to the concept of a limit. It can be thought of as the "limit" of the ball without a point, as it is the set of points that are closest to the removed point. This concept is important in understanding continuity and convergence in topology.