Finding Product of Complex Polynomial Roots

In summary: No, absolutely not. YOU said that ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0 ## (not ##\sum a_j##). My question amounts to asking: why do you want to compute ##P_n(-1)##? What do you gain by doing... that?I don't think we are on the same page. Let's try again.Why are you computing ## P_n(-1)##?I don't think we are on the same page. Let's try again.Why are you computing ## P_n(-1)##?I am really not
cdummie

Homework Statement

It is known that roots of complex polynomial:

##P_n (z) = z^n + a_{n-1}z^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1z + a_0##

are the following complex numbers:

##\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \cdots, \alpha_n ##

Find the product:

##\prod = (\alpha_1 + 1)(\alpha_2 + 1)\cdots(\alpha_n +1)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that i have to use Vieta formulas somehow, and since roots are all complex then it means that there are n/2 pairs of complex-complex conjugate roots. If i multiply all of this i would end up with product of all roots ##\alpha_1* \alpha_2* \cdots* \alpha_n ## and by Vieta formulas i can easily determine that one, but there are more elements of this product after multiplying, what can i do with them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so it has ##n## roots without counting multiplicity.
So your polynomial has the form ##P_n(z) = A(z) (z-\alpha_1)...(z-\alpha_n) ##.
Explain why ##A = 1##

cdummie said:

Homework Statement

Find the product:

Homework Equations

I am pretty sure that i have to use Vieta formulas somehow, and since roots are all complex then it means that there are n/2 pairs of complex-complex conjugate roots
This is only true if all coefficients are real numbers but you said "complex polynomial" which means that is not necessarily true.

If i multiply all of this i would end up with product of all roots ##\alpha_1* \alpha_2* \cdots* \alpha_n ## and by Vieta formulas i can easily determine that one, but there are more elements of this product after multiplying, what can i do with them?

cdummie said:

Homework Statement

Find the product:

Homework Equations

I am pretty sure that i have to use Vieta formulas somehow, and since roots are all complex then it means that there are n/2 pairs of complex-complex conjugate roots. If i multiply all of this i would end up with product of all roots ##\alpha_1* \alpha_2* \cdots* \alpha_n ## and by Vieta formulas i can easily determine that one, but there are more elements of this product after multiplying, what can i do with them?

The requirement of having complex-conjugate root pairs is true only if all the coefficients are real, and can fail if some of the coefficients are non-real complex numbers. For example, the equation ##x^2 + (2+i)x - 3 i = 0## has roots ##\alpha_1 \doteq 0.522 +0.788\, i## and ##\alpha_2 \doteq -2.552 - 1.788\, i ##.

geoffrey159 said:
Ok so it has ##n## roots without counting multiplicity.
So your polynomial has the form ##P_n(z) = A(z) (z-\alpha_1)...(z-\alpha_n) ##.
Explain why ##A = 1##

I am not really sure, is it maybe because i have coefficient 1 with zn?

yes, but if you want to convince yourself, you can justify that ## \text{deg}{(A)} = 0##, so that ##A## is a non-zero constant, and with your argument above, ##A = 1##.

Ok, so now you have the answer, what is ##P_n(-1)## ?

geoffrey159 said:
yes, but if you want to convince yourself, you can justify that ## \text{deg}{(A)} = 0##, so that ##A## is a non-zero constant, and with your argument above, ##A = 1##.

Ok, so now you have the answer, what is ##P_n(-1)## ?

Well, it's ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0##
But how this gets me any closer to the solution?

You must have worked on this problem for too long :-)
Think about it 10 more minutes

EDIT: or don't think about it the next 10 minutes :-)

EDIT (+10 minutes) : What did we just say ? ##P_n(z) = (z-\alpha_1)...(z-\alpha_n)##. So what is ##P_n(-1)##?

Last edited:
Likes cdummie
geoffrey159 said:
You must have worked on this problem for too long :-)
Think about it 10 more minutes

EDIT: or don't think about it the next 10 minutes :-)

EDIT (+10 minutes) : What did we just say ? ##P_n(z) = (z-\alpha_1)...(z-\alpha_n)##. So what is ##P_n(-1)##?
I am sorry, i really don't know anything than this ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0## which is obvious and it still isn't clear to me how this is going to help me solving this.

cdummie said:
I am sorry, i really don't know anything than this ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0## which is obvious and it still isn't clear to me how this is going to help me solving this.

Does this formula (up to a possible sign) express your desired product in terms of the coefficients ##a_0, a_1, \ldots, a_{n-1}##? Did the problem ask you to do more than that?

Ray Vickson said:
Does this formula (up to a possible sign) express your desired product in terms of the coefficients ##a_0, a_1, \ldots, a_{n-1}##? Did the problem ask you to do more than that?

I really don't understand what are you trying to say, do you mean that ##a_0 + a_1 + \ldots + a_{n-1} = \prod = (\alpha_1 + 1)(\alpha_2 + 1)\cdots(\alpha_n +1) ##?

cdummie said:
You know that ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0##.

You also know another way to find ## P_n(-1)##:
geoffrey159 said:
What did we just say ? ##P_n(z) = (z-\alpha_1)...(z-\alpha_n)##. So what is ##P_n(-1)##?

Now put the two together.

Likes cdummie
cdummie said:
I really don't understand what are you trying to say, do you mean that ##a_0 + a_1 + \ldots + a_{n-1} = \prod = (\alpha_1 + 1)(\alpha_2 + 1)\cdots(\alpha_n +1) ##?

No, absolutely not. YOU said that ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0 ## (not ##\sum a_j##). My question amounts to asking: why do you want to compute ##P_n(-1)##? What do you gain by doing that? How is that related to the product you started with?

Likes cdummie
Samy_A said:
You know that ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0##.

You also know another way to find ## P_n(-1)##:Now put the two together.

Let's see: I have ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0## and ## P_n(-1) =(-1-\alpha_1) \cdots(-1-\alpha_n)##

Now, taking all -1's out i have ##P_n(-1) =(-1)^n(\alpha_1+1) \cdots(\alpha_n+1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0##

Multiplying both sides by ##(-1)^{-n}## i have:

##(\alpha_1+1) \cdots(\alpha_n+1) = 1 + a_{n-1}(-1)^{-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1)^{1-n} + a_0(-1)^{-n}##

Now, if this is correct i have another question, my idea was to use Vieta's formulas, i mean i have a given product which i have to find:

##\prod=(\alpha_1 + 1)\cdots(\alpha_n+1)## i am sure that there would be ##\alpha_1\alpha_2\cdots\alpha_n## but what is with rest of it , i mean i would have 1 at the end, but in order to use Vieta's formulas i should get something like ##\alpha_1\alpha_2 + \alpha_1\alpha_3 + \cdots + \alpha_1\alpha_n + + \alpha_2\alpha_3 + \alpha_2\alpha_4 +\cdots + \alpha_{n-1}\alpha_n## and then sum of products of three and so on all the way to the product of all of them. Is this correct?

cdummie said:
Let's see: I have ## P_n(-1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0## and ## P_n(-1) =(-1-\alpha_1) \cdots(-1-\alpha_n)##

Now, taking all -1's out i have ##P_n(-1) =(-1)^n(\alpha_1+1) \cdots(\alpha_n+1) = (-1)^n + a_{n-1}(-1)^{n-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1) + a_0##

Multiplying both sides by ##(-1)^{-n}## i have:

##(\alpha_1+1) \cdots(\alpha_n+1) = 1 + a_{n-1}(-1)^{-1} + \cdots + a_1(-1)^{1-n} + a_0(-1)^{-n}##

Now, if this is correct i have another question, my idea was to use Vieta's formulas, i mean i have a given product which i have to find:

##\prod=(\alpha_1 + 1)\cdots(\alpha_n+1)## i am sure that there would be ##\alpha_1\alpha_2\cdots\alpha_n## but what is with rest of it , i mean i would have 1 at the end, but in order to use Vieta's formulas i should get something like ##\alpha_1\alpha_2 + \alpha_1\alpha_3 + \cdots + \alpha_1\alpha_n + + \alpha_2\alpha_3 + \alpha_2\alpha_4 +\cdots + \alpha_{n-1}\alpha_n## and then sum of products of three and so on all the way to the product of all of them. Is this correct?
Correct.

Using Vieta's formulas should also work, as you indeed get all possible combinations of products of roots when you expand ##\prod(\alpha_1 + 1)\cdots(\alpha_n+1)##.

1. What is the purpose of finding the product of complex polynomial roots?

Finding the product of complex polynomial roots allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the polynomial, such as its degree and the number of roots. It also helps us in solving polynomial equations and determining the behavior of the polynomial graph.

2. How do you find the product of complex polynomial roots?

To find the product of complex polynomial roots, we use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra which states that the number of complex roots of a polynomial is equal to its degree. We can also use the Vieta's formulas to find the product by multiplying the constant term with the leading coefficient.

3. Can the product of complex polynomial roots be imaginary?

Yes, the product of complex polynomial roots can be imaginary. This happens when the polynomial has non-real roots, which means that the roots are in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

4. How does the degree of a polynomial affect its product of complex roots?

The degree of a polynomial directly affects its product of complex roots. The higher the degree of the polynomial, the more complex roots it can have. For example, a quadratic polynomial with degree 2 can have a maximum of 2 complex roots, while a cubic polynomial with degree 3 can have a maximum of 3 complex roots.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the product of complex polynomial roots?

Finding the product of complex polynomial roots has various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It is used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and control systems to determine the stability and behavior of systems. It is also used in economics to model and predict market trends and changes.