Complex substitution into the equation of motion.

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation of motion of a mass relative to a rotating coordinate system, and how it can be simplified in the case of F = 0, \vec{r} = \hat{x} x + \hat{y} y, and \vec{\omega} = \omega \hat{z}. By replacing \vec{r} with z = x + iy, the resulting ODE can be solved using the substitution z=fe^{-i\omega t}. The process of solving the ODE was also discussed, with the final result being \frac{d^{2}z}{dt^2} + i2\omega\frac{dz}{dt} - \omega^2z=
ultimateguy

Homework Statement

The equation of motion of a mass m relative to a rotating coordinate system is
[tex]m\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^2} = \vec{F} - m\vec{\omega} \times (\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}) - 2m(\vec{\omega} \times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}) - m(\frac{d\vec{\omega}}{dt} \times \vec{r})[/tex]

Consider the case F = 0, [tex]\vec{r} = \hat{x} x + \hat{y} y[/tex], and [tex]\vec{\omega} = \omega \hat{z}[/tex], with [tex]\omega[/tex] a constant.

Show that the replacement of [tex]\vec{r} = \hat{x} x + \hat{y} y[/tex] by z = x + iy leads to

[tex]\frac{d^{2}z}{dt^2} + i2\omega\frac{dz}{dt} - \omega^2z=0[/tex].

Note, This ODE may be solved by the substitution [tex]z=fe^{-i\omega t}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated that [tex]-\vec{\omega} \times (\vec{\omega} \times z) = \omega^2 z[/tex].

As far as figuring out how [tex]-2(\vec{\omega} \times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}) -(\frac{d\omega}{dt} \times \vec{r})[/tex] gives [tex]i2\omega\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex] I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it. Turns out that [tex]-2(\vec{\omega} \times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}) = -2i\omega\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex] and since F = 0 then [tex] \frac{d\omega}{dt} = 0[/tex].

What is complex substitution into the equation of motion?

Complex substitution into the equation of motion is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve equations of motion that involve complex numbers. It involves replacing the complex numbers with real numbers in order to make the equation easier to solve.

Why is complex substitution used in the equation of motion?

Complex substitution is used in the equation of motion because it allows for easier manipulation and solution of equations that involve complex numbers. It also helps to reduce the complexity of the equations and make them more manageable.

What are the steps involved in complex substitution into the equation of motion?

The steps involved in complex substitution into the equation of motion are as follows:

1. Identify the complex numbers in the equation of motion.
  2. Replace the complex numbers with real numbers.
  3. Simplify the equation using algebraic manipulation.
  4. Solve the equation as you would with a regular equation.
  5. Replace the real numbers with the original complex numbers to get the final solution.

What are some common applications of complex substitution into the equation of motion?

Complex substitution into the equation of motion is commonly used in physics and engineering for problems involving oscillations, waves, and vibrations. It can also be used in other fields such as finance and economics for modeling complex systems.

Are there any limitations to using complex substitution in the equation of motion?

Yes, there are some limitations to using complex substitution in the equation of motion. It may not be applicable to all types of equations and may not always result in a real solution. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and determine if complex substitution is the best approach for solving it.