1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex vector potential of solid sphere and Heaviside function

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have done this problem for the case of a spherical shell, however, I am not understanding how to go about this for a solid sphere.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \vec{A} = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{\phi' = 0}^{2 \pi} \int_{-1}^1 \int_0^R \rho_o \Theta(R-r) \sum_{l=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-l}^l \frac{4 \pi}{2l +1} \frac{r_<^l}{r_>^{l+1}}Y_{l,m}^*(\theta',\phi')Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi) r'^2 d(\cos(\theta'))d\phi' [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For the case of a shell, there is a delta function which makes life easy.

My question is, what do I do with this Heaviside function? Do I treat it differently for r < R and r > R? This is my first time encountering this function.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're missing a dr in your integral. Given the limits on your integral, you always have ##r\le R##, so the step function is equal to 1.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Hi, sorry I meant to put in the dr'.

I guess when I am integrating from 0 to r > R, I would split the integral up and only the integral from 0 to R would contribute while the other integral (R to r) would be zero.

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What are the limits on your r' integral supposed to be? Are they 0 and R as you've written? Should the r inside the step function be r'?

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5
    Yes sorry, the r is r' inside the Heaviside function.

Do we split up the integral like the case of the electric potential? If so,

For r<R:

The integral, like solving for the electric potential, would have to broken up into two components, that is [itex] \int_{\infty}^r \rightarrow \int_{\infty}^R + \int_R^r. [/itex] Would the first integral = 0 by definition of the Heaviside function?

For r>R:

The integral is from [itex] \int_{\infty}^r [/itex] and therefore 0?

Again solving it for the shell case none of this was an issue...

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm still unclear on what you're calculating here. The righthand side doesn't appear to be a vector. Where are you getting ##r## and ##\infty## for your limits?

8. Feb 20, 2013 #7
    Yeah, I messed up real good. I forgot the cross product [itex](\omega \times r')[/itex] from the velocity.

Using the complex current density,

[tex] J_x + iJ_y = -i \sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}\frac{q \omega r'}{ R^3} \Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}. [/tex]

And using this to find the complex vector potential I get,

[tex] A_x + iA_y = -i\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}\frac{q \omega}{ R^3} \int_{\phi' = 0}^{2 \pi} \int_{-1}^1 \int_0^r \Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}(\theta',\phi') \sum_{l=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-l}^l \frac{4 \pi}{2l +1} \frac{r_<^l}{r_>^{l+1}}Y_{l,m}^*(\theta',\phi')Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi) r'^3 dr'd(\cos(\theta'))d\phi' [/tex]

From here I believe I can use orthogonality to kill off some terms setting l=m=1, and I get

[tex]A_x + iA_y = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}\frac{q \omega}{ R^3} \int_0^r \Theta(R-r')Y_{1,1}(\theta',\phi') \frac{4 \pi}{2(1) +1} \frac{r_<^{(1)}}{r_>^{(1)+1}} r'^3 dr'[/tex]

I hope this is right thus far. . . And yes I am clearly not understanding what I am integrating over for the r' integration.

9. Feb 22, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You want to integrate over all space, so the limits should be 0 to infinity. Since the step function vanishes for r'>R, you can simply integrate from 0 to R.

10. Feb 23, 2013 #9
    You are correct, thanks! Sorry again for my sloppy mathematics, it's my pet peeve yet I am sloppy myself...

11. Feb 23, 2013 #10
    One more quick question on notation, would this be correct?

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} r' \, \Theta(R-r') dr' \rightarrow \int_0^{R} r' \, dr'. [/tex]

Would I simply change the limits of integration and remove the Heaviside function from the equation?

12. Mar 4, 2013 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry for the late response. Yes, that's correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted