Components and Vectors and Lengths, Oh My

In summary, the conversation was about the components and length of a vector that is the sum of two given vectors. The components of the two vectors were (3.4, 1.0, 15.0) and (5.1, -4.6, -1.0), and the length was to be calculated using the equation (Vx)² + (Vy)² + (Vz)² = √Length. However, the attempt at a solution was incorrect due to a misunderstanding of how to handle negative values being squared.
Aquas
Hey guys! I am back for a second time. (Woo) More Awesome Physics underway!

Homework Statement

The components of a vector V are often written (Vx, Vy, Vz). What are the components and length of a vector which is the sum of the two vectors, V1 and V2, whose components are (3.4, 1.0, 15.0) and (5.1, -4.6, -1.0)?

Homework Equations

(Vx)=8.5
(Vy)=-3.6
(Vz)=14

The Attempt at a Solution

To my understanding it should be (Vx)² + (Vy)² + (Vz)² = √Length

But my Program say nay to such an answer...Is there somthing I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugh I fail, a Negative Being Squared is Positive... Void all that, I suck. : (

Hi there! It's great to see your enthusiasm for physics. Let's take a closer look at the components and length of a vector. First, the components of a vector are the values that make up the vector in terms of its direction and magnitude in each dimension. In this case, the components of V1 are 3.4 in the x-direction, 1.0 in the y-direction, and 15.0 in the z-direction. Similarly, the components of V2 are 5.1 in the x-direction, -4.6 in the y-direction, and -1.0 in the z-direction.

To find the components and length of the vector V1+V2, we can add the corresponding components of V1 and V2. So, in the x-direction, we have 3.4 + 5.1 = 8.5. In the y-direction, we have 1.0 + (-4.6) = -3.6. And in the z-direction, we have 15.0 + (-1.0) = 14.0. Therefore, the components of V1+V2 are (8.5, -3.6, 14.0).

As for the length of the vector V1+V2, you are on the right track with the equation (Vx)² + (Vy)² + (Vz)² = √Length. However, you need to square each component and then take the square root of the sum. So, the length would be √(8.5² + (-3.6)² + 14.0²) = 16.6.

I hope this clears things up for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a component?

A component is a part or element that makes up a larger system or structure. In the context of vectors, components refer to the parts of a vector that are parallel to the coordinate axes.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (length) and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow in a coordinate system.

3. How do you find the length of a vector?

The length of a vector is also known as its magnitude and can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. To find the length of a vector with components (x,y), use the formula √(x² + y²).

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include displacement and velocity.

5. How are vectors represented in mathematics?

Vectors are typically represented using bold letters or with an arrow above the letter. For example, the vector A can be represented as A or 𝐴.