Finding the Radial Velocity Component of a Point P with Given Velocity Vector v

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
matteo86bo
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Hi there,
I'm really ashamed of doing this stupid question but I really need help with this thing. And, even if it's simple, it's not homework.

I have a point P=(x,y,z) with velocity v=(vx,vy,vz)
how can I determine the radial component of the velocity?

My answer is that, [tex]v_r=vcos(\theta-\alpha)[/tex] where [tex]\theta,\alpha[/tex] are the angle between the x direction and the radial direction and atan(vx/vy).

Is this right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Make the dot product between the unit vector [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}}(x,y,z)[/tex] and the velocity vector, and you have the radial component of the velocity.

Hmm..doesn't LateX work todaY?
 
Last edited:
thanks arildno,
It was really easy! It's just that sometimes I get confused with this staff.