Composing a few transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence of infinitesimal transformations with two generators. The simplified form includes quadratic terms, but the textbook only includes a second order term. The individual realizes they made a mistake and will expand the sequence further to include quadratic terms.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
N/A
I messed up somewhere, but don't know why! We consider this sequence of infinitesimal transformations,$$U = e^{i\varepsilon K_{\mu}}e^{i\varepsilon K_{\nu}}e^{-i\varepsilon K_{\mu}}e^{-i\varepsilon K_{\nu}}$$with ##K_{\mu}## and ##K_{\nu}## being two generators. I said, this simplifies to$$\begin{align*}

e^{i\varepsilon K_{\mu}}e^{i\varepsilon K_{\nu}}e^{-i\varepsilon K_{\mu}}e^{-i\varepsilon K_{\nu}} &= (I+i\varepsilon K_{\mu})(I+i\varepsilon K_{\nu})(I-i\varepsilon K_{\mu})(I-i\varepsilon K_{\nu}) + \mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^5) \\

&= \left[I + i\varepsilon(K_{\mu} + K_{\nu}) - \varepsilon^2 K_{\mu} K_{\nu} \right]\left[I - i\varepsilon(K_{\mu} + K_{\nu}) - \varepsilon^2 K_{\mu} K_{\nu} \right] + \mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^5) \\

&= I+ \varepsilon^2 (K_{\mu}^2 + K_{\mu} K_{\nu} + K_{\nu} K_{\mu} + K_{\nu}^2) -2 \varepsilon^2 K_{\mu} K_{\nu} + \mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^3) \\
&= I + \varepsilon^2 (K_{\nu} K_{\mu} - K_{\mu} K_{\nu}) + \varepsilon^2(K_{\mu}^2 + K_{\nu}^2) + \mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^3)

\end{align*}$$but the textbook only quotes$$U = I + \varepsilon^2 (K_{\nu} K_{\mu} - K_{\mu} K_{\nu}) + \mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^3)$$I wondered why I ended up with an extra term? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an answer to second order ##\epsilon^2## then you ought to have quadratic terms in your original expansion.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
If you have an answer to second order ##\epsilon^2## then you ought to have quadratic terms in your original expansion.

Ohhh, you're right! Guess I'll get started on expanding all that out, then...

1. What is the purpose of composing transformations?

The purpose of composing transformations is to combine multiple transformations in order to create a new, more complex transformation that can be applied to a given object or system. This allows for more versatile and precise manipulation of objects in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer graphics.

2. What are some common types of transformations that can be composed?

Some common types of transformations that can be composed include translations, rotations, reflections, dilations, and shears. These transformations can be applied to various objects such as points, lines, and shapes to alter their position, orientation, size, or shape.

3. How is the order of transformations important when composing?

The order of transformations is important when composing because it affects the final result. When multiple transformations are applied to an object, the order in which they are applied can change the outcome. For example, rotating an object and then translating it will result in a different position than translating it and then rotating it.

4. Can any two transformations be composed?

No, not all transformations can be composed. In order for two transformations to be composed, their properties must be compatible. For example, a translation and a rotation can be composed, but a translation and a reflection cannot be composed.

5. How can composing transformations be useful in scientific research?

Composing transformations can be useful in scientific research as it allows for the manipulation of data and objects in a more precise and efficient manner. It can also aid in the visualization and analysis of complex systems and phenomena. For example, in physics, composing transformations can be used to study the motion of objects in a three-dimensional space.