Composing permutations in cycle notation

In summary, when composing permutations written in cycle notation, one can read the composition by looking at how each number changes in each cycle. In the example given, (2 3)(1 2 3) is equivalent to the permutation \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&2&3\\3&2&1\end{array}\right), where 1 changes to 3, 2 remains the same, and 3 changes to 1.
radou
Homework Helper
I'm currently going through a text about groups, and I'm having problems with composing permutations written in cycle notation, i.e. there are lots of examples and I'm expected to be able to calculate them pretty 'fast', so, is there a way to 'read out' the composition of two permutations direct from the cycle notation (I use standard function composition, which is rather slow), for example, if I have the symmetric group S3, and let's say two of its elements, (2, 3) and (1, 2, 3), how can I figure out what (2, 3) o (1, 2, 3) is? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you just read from the right? So, (2 3)(1 2 3) is the permutation [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&2&3\\3&2&1\end{array}\right)[/tex], since the right cycle sends 1 to 2, which in turn gets sent to 3 by the left cycle. The right cycle sends 2 to 3, which is then sent to 2 by the left cycle, and finally the right one sends 3 to 1, which remains unchanged by the left.

edit: That might be the way you say you do it. If so, I can't help, as that's the way I was taught!

Last edited:
cristo said:
Don't you just read from the right? So, (2 3)(1 2 3) is the permutation [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&2&3\\3&2&1\end{array}\right)[/tex], since the right cycle sends 1 to 2, which in turn gets sent to 3 by the left cycle. The right cycle sends 2 to 3, which is then sent to 2 by the left cycle, and finally the right one sends 3 to 1, which remains unchanged by the left.

edit: That might be the way you say you do it. If so, I can't help, as that's the way I was taught!

I *finally* got it. Thanks cristo! :smile:

radou said:
I *finally* got it. Thanks cristo! :smile:

You're welcome!

Apparently you already have it but I'll stick my oar in anyway!

Here's how I would do that problem:
(1 2 3) means "1 changes to 2, 2 changes to 3, and 3 changes to 1".
(2, 3) means "2 changes to 3 and 3 changes to 2".

Okay, putting them together, 1 changes to 2 and 2 changes to 3. so 1 changes to 3. 2 changes to 3 and 3 changes to 2, so 2 changes to 2. 3 changes to 1 and 1 does not change, 3 changes to 1.
1 changes to 3 and 3 changes to 1. 2 does not change. In cycle notation that is (1 3).

HallsofIvy said:
Apparently you already have it but I'll stick my oar in anyway!

Here's how I would do that problem:
(1 2 3) means "1 changes to 2, 2 changes to 3, and 3 changes to 1".
(2, 3) means "2 changes to 3 and 3 changes to 2".

Okay, putting them together, 1 changes to 2 and 2 changes to 3. so 1 changes to 3. 2 changes to 3 and 3 changes to 2, so 2 changes to 2. 3 changes to 1 and 1 does not change, 3 changes to 1.
1 changes to 3 and 3 changes to 1. 2 does not change. In cycle notation that is (1 3).

That's exactly how I got it. I was just trying to find a quick way to look at these, since they occur often in my textbook, at least in the current chapter.

That is a quick way to look at it. As quick as the previous one. In fact it is identical to the previous one but written horizontally rather than vertically.

1. What is cycle notation?

Cycle notation is a way of representing a permutation by breaking it into a series of "cycles", where each number is replaced by the number it is mapped to in the permutation. For example, the permutation (1 2 3)(4 5) can be written as (1 2 3)(4 5) in cycle notation.

2. How do you compose permutations in cycle notation?

To compose two permutations in cycle notation, you simply read from right to left. For example, if you want to compose the permutations (1 2 3) and (3 4), you would write it as (1 2 3)(3 4) = (1 2 4). This means that 1 is mapped to 2, 2 is mapped to 4, and 4 is mapped to 1.

3. Can cycles overlap in cycle notation?

No, cycles cannot overlap in cycle notation. Each number can only appear in one cycle, and all numbers must be represented in the permutation.

4. What is the identity permutation in cycle notation?

The identity permutation in cycle notation is represented as an empty cycle (). This means that every number is mapped to itself, and there are no changes made in the permutation.

5. Can you have a cycle with only one number in cycle notation?

Yes, you can have a cycle with only one number in cycle notation. This means that the number is mapped to itself, and there are no other changes made in the permutation.