Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite system, rigged Hilbert space, bounded unbounded operator, CSCO, domain

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    Is something wrong in my assertions below?

Suppose we have two quantum systems [itex]N[/itex] and [itex]X[/itex]. Let [itex]N[/itex] is described by discrete observable [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] (bounded s.a. operator with discrete infinite spectrum) with eigenvectors [itex]|n\rangle[/itex]. Let [itex]X[/itex] is described by continuous observable [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] (unbounded s.a. operator with continuous spectrum) with generalized eigenvectors [itex]|x\rangle[/itex]. Then:
    1. physical states of [itex]N[/itex] lie in Hilbert space [itex]H_{N}[/itex];
    2. [itex]H_{N}[/itex] is spanned by [itex]|n\rangle[/itex];
    3. [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] lie [itex]H_{N}[/itex];
    4. basis set [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] has cardinality aleph-null (countable);
    5. system [itex]X[/itex] is considered in rigged Hilbert space [itex]Ω_{X}\subset H_{X}\subset Ω^{\times}_{X}[/itex];
    6. physical states of [itex]X[/itex] lie in [itex]Ω_{X}[/itex];
    7. [itex]Ω_{X}[/itex] is spanned by [itex]|x\rangle[/itex];
    8. basis set [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] has cardinality aleph-one (uncountable);
    9. [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] lie in [itex]Ω^{\times}_{X}\backslash H_{X}[/itex];
    10. the complete set of commuting observables (CSCO) for composite system [itex]NX[/itex] is [itex]\hat{n}[/itex], [itex]\hat{x}[/itex];
    11. composite system [itex]NX[/itex] is considered in rigged Hilbert space [itex]Ω_{NX}\subset H_{NX}\subset Ω^{\times}_{NX}[/itex];
    12. [itex]H_{NX}=H_{N}\otimes H_{X}[/itex] (tensor product);
    13. physical states of [itex]NX[/itex] lie in [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex];
    14. [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex] is spanned by [itex]|n,x\rangle[/itex] ( [itex]|n,x\rangle = |n\rangle\otimes|x\rangle[/itex] );
    15. basis set [itex]|n,x\rangle[/itex] has cardinality aleph-one (uncountable);
    16. [itex]|n,x\rangle[/itex] lie in [itex]Ω^{\times}_{NX}\backslash H_{NX}[/itex];
    17. operator [itex]\hat{X}=\hat{1}\otimes\hat{x}[/itex] is unbounded;
    18. [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] has domain [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex] and maps [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex] into [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex];
    19. operator [itex]\hat{N}=\hat{n}\otimes\hat{1}[/itex] is bounded;
    20. [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] has domain [itex]H_{NX}[/itex] and maps [itex]H_{NX}[/itex] into [itex]H_{NX}[/itex];
    21. Suppose [itex]NX[/itex] is in the some state [itex]ψ\inΩ_{NX}[/itex]. One has measured observables [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] and/or [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] in state [itex]ψ[/itex]. After this procedure [itex]ψ[/itex] collapses to vector from [itex]|n,x\rangle[/itex] set, this vector [itex]\notinΩ_{NX}[/itex]. It implies that 6 and 13 must be reformulated: physical states lie in [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex] and in some subspace of [itex]Ω^{\times}_{NX}\backslash H_{NX}[/itex] ( subspace of generalized eigenvectors).
    22. And what about [itex]H_{NX}\backslash Ω_{NX}[/itex] ? I can’t apply [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] to vector [itex]\varphi[/itex] from [itex]H_{NX}\backslash Ω_{NX}[/itex], because [itex]||\hat{X}\varphi||\rightarrow∞[/itex] and [itex]\hat{X}\varphi\inΩ^{\times}_{NX}\backslash H_{NX}[/itex] , i.e. I can’t measure observable [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] in states [itex]H_{NX}\backslash Ω_{NX}[/itex]. But I can apply [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] to [itex]\varphi[/itex], because [itex]\hat{N}\varphi\in H_{NX}[/itex] and [itex]||\hat{N}\varphi||<∞[/itex] , i.e. I can measure observable [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] in states [itex]H_{NX}\backslash Ω_{NX}[/itex]. But [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] form CSCO and they can be measured simultaneously. What can I do in this case? I can decrease domain of [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] from [itex]H_{NX}[/itex] to [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex]. Thus [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{X}[/itex] will have common domain, but for [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] this domain is not invariant, because in general case [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] maps [itex]Ω_{NX}[/itex] into [itex]H_{NX}[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My comments are markes with caps lock in the quote.

21 & 22: My comment. I don't believe in von Neumann's measurement => collapse postulate. I don't know of a formulation of von Neumann's postulate for distribution spaces.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Jan 31, 2013 #3

rubi

Science Advisor

8, 15: This is actually neither true nor false. It's equivalent to the continnuum hypothesis, which is undecidable in ZFC. A true statement would be that the cardinality is beth-one.
    9: This is true in my opinion.

21: There are two ways out:
    a) You never really measure an exact value for a continuous variable and thus the state will not collapse to [itex]|x\rangle[/itex], but rather to something like [itex]\int e^{-\frac{(y-x)^2}{\sigma^2}}|y\rangle dy[/itex].
    b) You are only in a distributional state for an infinitesimal amount of time, since the diffusive nature of the Schrödinger equation will quickly evolve the state into a physical state. This might not apply for every possible Hamiltonian however.

22: The states in [itex]H_{NX}\backslash\Omega_{NX}[/itex] are not physical. They correspond to things like infinite energy. A physical state must always give you finite values for all measurements. The fact that you can apply operators to a state doesn't imply that this state can be realized physically. The situation you described corresponds to something like a particle with infinite energy and spin up. You can easily write down a wavefunction for this situation, but that doesn't mean that this is realized in nature.

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9 is true, of course. I've corrected the point above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook