1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compound Hydrolization with Water and Acid

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    Hi guys, I have a chemistry question which has been disturbing me. :cry: Please help me, it goes like this.

A liquid, C6H12O2, was hydrolyzed with water and acid to give an acid A and an alcohol B. Oxidation of B with chromic acid produced A. The formula of the original compound is?

I will attach the image for the choices since I have no idea how to turn the following compounds in a linear equation :frown: Choice A which is highlighted in yellow was the answer provided.

http://imgur.com/iBtgRFI

Could you please explain why the Choice A is the answer because I'm quite confused thinking that Choices A, B, and C are all possible answers because there is a carbonyl group. If you may also please include why choice D is not the answer? Help will be appreciated. :cry:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

When alcohol B is oxidized it produces the acid A. What does it tell you about number of carbon atoms in both compounds?

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3
    I see! I get it now! That must mean that if alcohol B oxidation yields exactly acid A they should have the same amount of carbons coming from the original compound which has equal amounts of carbon before and after the carbonyl group, is that correct sir?

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Don't sir me, or I will ban you.

Other than that, you are right.

6. Nov 18, 2013 #5
    Thanks Admin!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted