Which Compound Is More Soluble in Water: Heptanoic Acid or 1-Octanol?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlueScreenOD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
BlueScreenOD
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Which compound would you expect to be more soluble in water: heptanoic acid or 1-octanol?

Which of the compounds has the greater solubility in water and why?
2-Propanone or 1-Propanol

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I believe for the first question that the answer is heptanoic acid because it has increased hydrogen bonding. I think the second answer is alcohol for the same reason.

I have an exam tomorrow, so if anyone could clear this up I'd be very appreciative.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"alcohols, ethers and epoxides having less than or 5 carbon atoms are water soluble because they each have an oxygen atom capable of hydrogen bonding."

"alcohols, ethers and epoxides having more than 5 carbon atoms are insoluble because the non-polar alkyl portion is too large to dissolve in water"
 
Thanks for your reply Cronxeh. I know they're both soluble, but what I need to know is which is MORE soluble.