1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry Recrystallization

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is ethanol a bad choice for recrystallization of phthalic acid?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know phthalic acid is very soluble in water, so water is a great candidate to recrystallize phthalic acid. I also know water and ethanol are not miscible. But I don't know how to properly answer this question. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Say what?

4. Sep 22, 2016 #3
    Water and ethanol are miscible!

Phthalic acid must be highly soluble in ethanol but not in water at room temp and therefore is a bad solvent for recrystallization. In order to have properly recrystallization the compound must be insoluble or only partially soluble in the solvent at room temperature but highly soluble in the solvent at or near its boiling point.

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4
    Sorry my chemistry book is confusing! I misread

6. Sep 26, 2016 #5
    Thank you so much! This makes more sense. My book had some description about solubility and pure compounds when recrystallizing, but I just couldn't grasp the concept. Thanks again!

7. Sep 29, 2016 #6

Dr Uma Sharma

Gold Member

A solvent should also not react with the compounds ...
    Alcohols react with acids to form esters ...that can also be one of the reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted