1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to differentiate phenol, acetic acid, aniline & nitrobenzene

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question actually contains a diagram but i don't understand how to draw it, so i'll try to describe it in words.
    A solution contains phenol, acetic acid, aniline and nitrobenzene. Na2CO3 is added into the solution and two layers are formed: aqueous layer A and ethereal layer X. Then NaOH is added into ethereal layer X, two layers are formed: aqueous layer B and ethereal layer Y. At last, dilute HCl is added into ethereal layer Y and aqueous layer C and ethereal layer D is formed. The question is, identify the correct combinations of compound A, B, C and D.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really weak in organic chemistry. I tried to check the characteristics but i don't get it :cry: well, this is my guess: phenol, acetic acid and nitrobenzene is acidic while aniline is alkaline. so when Na2CO3 is added, it will react with those three and leaves aniline unreacted. then A is aniline. then i got confused :confused: i really don't have any idea. and i'm not sure whether my guess is right. help me please.... thanks a lot before..:shy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2
    Need to see that diagram
  4. Jun 10, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by listing your pKa's for everything and then determine the pH of bicarb solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook