1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressible inviscid vorticity convection w Rankine Vortex

1. Jun 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The compressible inviscid vorticity convection equation:
    $$\frac{D(\frac{w}{\rho})}{Dt}=(\frac{w}{\rho})\cdot \nabla U + \frac{1}{\rho}\nabla P \times \nabla (\frac{1}{\rho})$$
    differs from the incompressible version in two important ways :
    1) The convected quantity is w/p, not w.
    2) the rightmost "baroclinic" term allows a pressure gradient to generate vorticity, or in other words to set the fluid into rotation

A) Consider a Rankine vortex. The fluid is a gas, which is suddenly expanded so that the vortex radius doubles. The density of course changes, but stays very nearly spatially uniform everywhere before, during , and after the expansion. Determine the ratio of vorticity after/before the expansion. Interpret the appearance of w/p in the equation above as a manifestation of conservation of angular momentum.

B) A container of still liquid A has the usual hydrostatic pressure field $$P=-\rho_Agz$$ where z is the vertical coordinate. A small circular blob of another liquid B which has a slightly larger density $$\rho_b>\rho_A$$ is carefully introduced into liquid A with a syringe. The blob is initially at rest at t=0. Qualitatively, describe the vorticity field at $$t=\Delta t, 2\Delta t...$$ and how it reflects the motion of the blob of liquid B inside liquid A. To make sketching easier, you may assume a 2D blob.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A)

I am not sure if I need the vorticity transport equation for the first part... But a rankine vortex has 2 different velocities :
    $$U_\theta = \frac{\Gamma r}{2\pi R^2} ; r<R\\\\
    U_\theta = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi R} ; r>R$$
    Vorticity (w) is the cross product $$\nabla \times U=-\frac{dU_\theta}{dr}$$
    $$r<R; -\frac{dU_\theta}{dr} = -\frac{\Gamma}{2\pi R^2}\\\\
    r>R; -\frac{dU_\theta}{dr} = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi r^2}$$
    So... they seem to be just a factor of -1 of each other if I am right.
    The ratio should be ;
    $$\frac{\frac{\Gamma}{2\pi R^2} }{\frac{\Gamma}{2\pi (2R)^2} }=4$$
    Then the question asks : Interpret the appearance of w/p in the equation above as a manifestation of conservation of angular momentum.
    Angular momentum... would be $$R\times M(L\times R)=-\frac{\Gamma M}{4\pi}$$ (M=mass, L=angular velocity = 1/2 vorticity (w))
    I am just completely lost here. How do I interpret it as a conservation of angular momentum... what would they even want in an answer to this?

B)
    If I take the derivative of pressure and plug it into the equation with hydrostatic constant velocity, meaning gradient = 0 I get :
    $$\frac{D\frac{w}{\rho}}{Dt}=(-Ag)\times \nabla(\frac{1}{\rho})-->\\\\
    \frac{\partial \frac{w}{\rho}}{\partial t} = (-Ag)\times \nabla(\frac{1}{\rho})$$
    I have... no idea what I am supposed to do with this equation. Am I supposed to come up with an expression for density and plug it in and solve for w? Should I use taylor approximation? Isnt the derivative infinity at the wall between the 2 balls of different density?

Please help, I know this post might be way too long though!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2
    I was working on part B :
    The question says qualitatively not quantitatively. So I think that means explain with words not numbers!
    I think I was wrong to assume no velocity gradients, because if you introduce the blob there has to be velocity gradients if the blob of liquid creates vorticity.
    Also, w is a vector... so I messed that up. This is 3 equations which contain a scaler sum of gradients and vorticity and a cross product of pressure gradient and density gradient.
    So... How am I supposed to predict what happens from those equations? No idea.
    Intuitively, since it's rotational and there are density gradients, I would assume the flow would diffuse out in spiral patterns.... but is that enough of an answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted