CompSci & Electrical Engineering

In summary, the speaker has a background in computer science and is currently studying electrical engineering with a focus on control systems and automation. They have completed 2 co-ops in maintenance and reliability with a mining company and are looking for other areas to utilize their degrees. Suggestions include embedded systems engineering, product design, automotive or aircraft control systems design, and marine engineering. The speaker is open to exploring different fields and seeking a placement for their final co-op term.
cpscdave
Hi Everyone,
I originally have a BSc in Computer Science, and worked as a software Dev for 4 years, I have not returned to school and am entering my 4th (and final) year of electrical engineering.

I've done 2 co-ops with a mining company working in Maintenance and Reliability, and have 1 more co-op term to go.

My original thought when I entered into EE is that I would head down the road of control systems and automation. That path is still a possibility, but I wondering what other fields would make good use of my 2 degrees.

Hopefully then I can find a placement for my last co-op in such a field!

Thanks for the insights!

Physics news on Phys.org
Control Systems Engineering is a good place to branch off from. For example, you could get heavily into embedded systems engineering. You could get into product design of consumer items such as washing machines or refrigerators. You could get into automotive or aircraft control systems design. Marine engineering is also possible. Don't overlook the fact that large ships have many control systems and a SCADA system besides.

In other words, find something you enjoy and get involved.

1. What is the difference between Computer Science and Electrical Engineering?

Computer Science is a field that focuses on the theory and design of computers and computational systems. It involves programming, algorithms, and data structures. Electrical Engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, building, and maintaining electrical systems. While both fields have some overlap, Computer Science is more software-oriented, while Electrical Engineering is more hardware-oriented.

2. What are the career options for someone with a degree in CompSci & Electrical Engineering?

There are many career options for someone with a degree in CompSci & Electrical Engineering. Some common job titles include software engineer, hardware engineer, network engineer, data scientist, and systems analyst. Graduates can also work in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and healthcare.

3. What skills are essential for success in CompSci & Electrical Engineering?

Some essential skills for success in CompSci & Electrical Engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, strong mathematical and technical abilities, and the ability to work well in a team. Communication skills and the ability to adapt to new technologies and tools are also important in these fields.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math for CompSci & Electrical Engineering?

Yes, a strong background in math is necessary for success in CompSci & Electrical Engineering. These fields involve a lot of mathematical concepts and principles, such as algebra, calculus, and statistics. It is important to have a good understanding of these concepts to solve complex problems and design efficient systems.

5. What are some emerging technologies in CompSci & Electrical Engineering?

Some emerging technologies in CompSci & Electrical Engineering include artificial intelligence, machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT), and virtual/augmented reality. These technologies are rapidly advancing and have applications in various industries, making them exciting areas of study for students in these fields.