1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Neuroscience Programs in different departments?

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    So I have been looking into different computational neuroscience programs lately, and I'm wondering what the difference is between departments. Some comp neurosci programs are housed in applied mathematics, computer science, engineering, or biology while others are just in the neuroscience department. I'm curious how the courses, application requirements, and research might differ between them. Mainly, I'm concerned about the research.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

*also I'm talking about PhD programs*

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2
    The difference in the departments is, well, the departments. Comp neuroscience programs housed in mathematics tend to be, thus, more mathematics driven. There are of course many different approaches to neuroscience so it's not surprising that the research tend to show up in different fields.

If you're interested in grad school, you should research what approach most interests you and look up the research being done on the schools faculty page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook