Computational Neuroscience/BCI Research Career (Advice Needed :S )

In summary, the individual is seeking career and academic advice for their upcoming Master of Biomedical Science (Neuroscience) program. They express concern that the course does not cover computational neuro, which is their desired field for a future PhD. They are wondering if it is possible to learn this on their own and what resources are available for them to do so. They also mention their current knowledge in programming and math, as well as their lack of engineering knowledge for the Brain-Computer Interface area. They are looking for guidance and assistance in this matter.
ndy890
Hi everyone :) I am looking for some career/academic advice and didn't know where else to ask!

I'm going to be doing a Master of Biomedical Science (Neuroscience) next year, here is the course outline:

Yr1:
- Biomedical Science Research in Context—Literature Review
- Global Challenges in Biomedical Science
- Human Neurobiology
- Comparative Neurobiology
- Advanced Neuroscience 1
- Advanced Neuroscience 2
- Physiology of Cells
- Neuroendocrinology

Yr2:
- Marine Neuroecology and Behaviour
- Modern Research Tools in Neuroscience
- Advanced Research Techniques
- Neurodevelopment and its Disorders
- Literature Review and Research Proposal (Dissertation)
- Science Research Project Part 1 (Dissertation)
- Science Research Project Part 2 (Dissertation)
- Science Research Project Part 3 (Dissertation)

The problem I feel that I have here, is that none of these units deal much with computational neuro. I would very much like to go on to do a PhD in Computational/Brain-Computer Interface research and so would love to something related to that in this Masters Dissertation. But I think the first year of this course would leave me at a disadvantage. So does anyone have any advice how I could go about learning the computational side of things on my own? Is it a steep learning curve? Do you think its possible to prepare myself for a Masters Diss./PhD in this area without formal academic education?

- So far, I'm planning to soon start learning Python through codeacademy, but of course that is very superficial. Where should I go after that to learn more/get applied programming practice?

- I also have introductory calculus level knowledge of math, including functions, differentiation, integration, inequalities, optimisation. What areas of math should I know before I start my masters dissertation?

- I also have no engineering knowledge, and I am thinking that this might be necessary if researching in the Brain-Computer Interface area. How would I also go about getting this knowledge without formal education?

As you can probably tell, I'm desperate for guidance.Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help! :)

Nate

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about something like neural networks and artificial intelligence or about communication between the brain and devices (mind control of artificial limbs, cochlear implants, etc.) or about man-machine interfaces like pilot-vehicle interface (display / controls design)?

Or not sure yet?

Last edited:

What is Computational Neuroscience?

Computational Neuroscience is a field of study that combines principles from neuroscience, computer science, and mathematics to understand how the brain processes information and generates behavior.

What is BCI Research?

BCI (Brain-Computer Interface) Research involves the development and application of technologies that allow direct communication between the brain and an external device, such as a computer or prosthesis.

What are the key skills needed for a career in Computational Neuroscience/BCI Research?

Some key skills needed for a career in Computational Neuroscience/BCI Research include a strong background in neuroscience, computer science, and mathematics, as well as proficiency in programming and data analysis. Additionally, strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for success in this field.

What are some potential career paths in Computational Neuroscience/BCI Research?

Some potential career paths in Computational Neuroscience/BCI Research include working in academia as a researcher or professor, in industry for companies developing BCI technologies, or in healthcare for applications in rehabilitation or medical treatments.

What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in Computational Neuroscience/BCI Research?

My advice would be to gain a strong foundation in neuroscience, computer science, and mathematics through coursework or research experience. It is also important to stay updated on the latest developments in the field and network with professionals in the industry. Additionally, gaining experience with programming and data analysis will be beneficial for pursuing a career in this field.