• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Computational projects in Accelerator Physics

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello. I am not sure if this question is relevant to be asked here but anyway please help me if possible. I have just completed my undergraduate degree in Applied Physics and I am interested to pursue my MS in accelerator physics. Since I haven't taken any course in accelerator physics, atomic physics or nuclear physics(not offered by my university), I have been taking some online courses in Coursera on the basics of particle accelerators.

Now I am interested to do some computational projects in this subject to develop good programming skills and understand the field of accelerators. But every time I search for some computational projects, I end up with the links referring to huge projects in CERN, SLAC, etc. Can anybody refer me to some beginner computational project topics that can be done in accelerator physics? I'd appreciate it if anyone could guide me with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hello. I am not sure if this question is relevant to be asked here but anyway please help me if possible. I have just completed my undergraduate degree in Applied Physics and I am interested to pursue my MS in accelerator physics. Since I haven't taken any course in accelerator physics, atomic physics or nuclear physics(not offered by my university), I have been taking some online courses in Coursera on the basics of particle accelerators.

Now I am interested to do some computational projects in this subject to develop good programming skills and understand the field of accelerators. But every time I search for some computational projects, I end up with the links referring to huge projects in CERN, SLAC, etc. Can anybody refer me to some beginner computational project topics that can be done in accelerator physics? I'd appreciate it if anyone could guide me with this.
First of all, you need to be enrolled in a graduate program at a school that support a major or specialization in Accelerator Science. Then, with the blessing of your advisor, you should enroll in one of the Particle Accelerator school that is offered throughout the year (especially over the summer). Most schools do not have the faculty or course offering in Accelerator Science, which is why the particle physics community offers these for-credit courses for students majoring in Accelerator Science. Such school is actually offered in various parts of the world. In the US, it is run by the USPAS.

If you look closely at the various course offering throughout various sessions, you'll see that there is quite an emphasis on the computational aspect of Accelerator science.

Please note that you should not confuse accelerator science with being "particle physics" or "nuclear physics". They are not synonymous! 95% of particle accelerators in the world has nothing to do with those two areas of physics.

If you have not seen this thread, you should also start here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/accelerator-physics-a-field-where-jobs-go-begging.410271/

Zz.

First of all, you need to be enrolled in a graduate program at a school that support a major or specialization in Accelerator Science. Then, with the blessing of your advisor, you should enroll in one of the Particle Accelerator school that is offered throughout the year (especially over the summer). Most schools do not have the faculty or course offering in Accelerator Science, which is why the particle physics community offers these for-credit courses for students majoring in Accelerator Science. Such school is actually offered in various parts of the world. In the US, it is run by the USPAS.

If you look closely at the various course offering throughout various sessions, you'll see that there is quite an emphasis on the computational aspect of Accelerator science.

Please note that you should not confuse accelerator science with being "particle physics" or "nuclear physics". They are not synonymous! 95% of particle accelerators in the world has nothing to do with those two areas of physics.

If you have not seen this thread, you should also start here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/accelerator-physics-a-field-where-jobs-go-begging.410271/

Zz.
I am aware that accelerator physics is not related to nuclear physics or particle physics. I am interested in this field because it focuses mostly on computation, engineering, and physics. I have applied to a few schools in USA and Canada offering an accelerator physics program. Unfortunately got rejected in some. I might be trying again next term but till then I want to get some basic experience in this field. This is why I was wondering if there is some small beginner coding project that one can try to develop some computation skill and at the same time get acquainted with accelerators. Anyway thank you for your reply.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I am aware that accelerator physics is not related to nuclear physics or particle physics. I am interested in this field because it focuses mostly on computation, engineering, and physics. I have applied to a few schools in USA and Canada offering an accelerator physics program. Unfortunately got rejected in some. I might be trying again next term but till then I want to get some basic experience in this field. This is why I was wondering if there is some small beginner coding project that one can try to develop some computation skill and at the same time get acquainted with accelerators. Anyway thank you for your reply.
Knowing the methods of finite-element analysis can be very useful if you wish to do some computational study on your own, especially if you have access to various finite element software packages such as COMSOL.

Zz.

Knowing the methods of finite-element analysis can be very useful if you wish to do some computational study on your own, especially if you have access to various finite element software packages such as COMSOL.

Zz.
I did want to learn COMSOL but haven't tried yet. Thanks for your suggestion. I have just done some basic codes in FDM but I should start with FEM now.