Compute damping as a function of frequency

In summary, the speaker is having trouble computing the damping as a function of frequency for a structure. They have plotted the transfer function between input and output and are using the "-3dB method" to determine the damping of the first mode. However, they are unable to justify the value from this method and are trying to compute the damping over a range of frequencies. They have attempted to use the transfer function to compute the damping by transforming the equation, but are getting strange results. They are asking for help with finding the correct equation to compute the damping and need confirmation on the relation between stiffness, young's modulus, and loss factor. They also need help justifying the equation for damping.
Delmache
Hi everyone,

I'm french, so sorry for my bad english.

I have a problem to compute the damping as a function of frequency. In fact, I plot the transfer function between the input (which is a force applied bu a hammer) and the output (which is an acceleration). Therefore, I can analyse the mode of the structure... I want to know the damping of the first mode, so I have used the "-3dB method". But I need to justify the value from the "-3dB method". What I'd like to do, is to compute the damping over the frequency (between 0-200 Hz). As I said before, my transfer function is the following :

H* = Output/Input = a/F

As you know, the stiffness is computed by :

K = F/delta(d)

What I do is that I use the transfer function to compute the damping, so I transform the equation of the transfer function as following :

1/H* = F/a

F/(a/jw)² = F/d (as you know d=a/(jw)²

So, 1/H* = -(w²*F)/a

Therefore, K* = -w²/H*

Then, I compute "eta" which is the damping by the following equation :

eta = Imaginary(K)/Real(K)

But when I do these calculations, I find very strange results. Balow, I show you an example of what I find :

mini_387170damping.jpg

First, I don't find the same value of damping obtained from the "-3dB method".
Second, I find incoherent values of damping (>1 or <1...). I can't explain this curve and why my computation doesn't work. What do I do wrong ?
Or, is there an other method to compute the damping as a function of frequency ?

Thank you very much for your help.B.D

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi

Anyone can help me ?

Thanks
B.D

Hi,

I am looking for the relation between the stiffness, the young's modulus and the loss factor. I think that's K = E(1+i*η), but I'm not sure of that. Can someone confirm that equation ? Because I need to justify the following equation : η = imaginary(K) / real(K).
Thanks a lot,
B.D

Last edited:

1. What is damping in relation to frequency?

Damping is a phenomenon where the amplitude of a vibrating system decreases over time. In the context of frequency, damping refers to the reduction in amplitude as the frequency of the vibration increases.

2. How does damping affect the behavior of a system?

Damping can affect the behavior of a system in several ways. It can decrease the amplitude of the vibration, shift the natural frequency of the system, and introduce a phase shift between the input and output signals.

3. What factors influence the amount of damping in a system?

The amount of damping in a system is influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the system, the type of damping mechanism present (such as viscous or structural), and the external environment.

4. How is damping as a function of frequency calculated?

Damping as a function of frequency can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as the logarithmic decrement method or the half-power bandwidth method. These methods involve measuring the amplitude and frequency of the vibration and using mathematical equations to determine the damping ratio.

5. What is the significance of computing damping as a function of frequency?

Computing damping as a function of frequency is important in understanding the behavior of a system under different vibrational conditions. It can help identify the natural frequency of a system, determine the amount of energy dissipation, and provide insights into the damping mechanisms present in the system.