Computeing the coordinate vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two sets B and B', and their respective elements u1, u2, u'1, and u'2. The transition matrix from B' to B is found and the question is to compute the coordinate vector [w]B. The person attempted to solve it by multiplying the transition matrix with the given vector, but the book's answer is different and it is explained that w is in the standard basis.
savageqm
hello, am confuse with this problem.

I have

B = {U1,U2} and B' = {u'1,u'2}

u1 = [2,2], u2 =[4,-1] u'1 = [1,3], u'2 = [1,1]

Now I have found the transition matrix from B' to B which is

13/10 -1/2

-2/5 0

Now, the question that am having trouble with is: Compute the coordinate vector [w]B where

w = [3,-5]

What I did was.

[ 13/10 -1/2

-2/5 0 ] * [3,-5] = [32/5, -6/5]but, this answer is wrong according to my book. Please help explain what they are asking for. I figure they were asking for : [v]b = Pb' -> b[v]b'

the book answer is [w]B = [-17/10, 8/5]

opps I spelled computing wrong, sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
w is not written in the basis B' but in the standard basis (1, 0) and (0, 1). Your book gives the correct answer.

1. What is a coordinate vector?

A coordinate vector is a mathematical representation of a point in a vector space. It consists of a set of numbers that indicate the position of the point in relation to a set of basis vectors.

2. How is a coordinate vector computed?

A coordinate vector is computed by taking the linear combination of the coordinates of the basis vectors that make up the point. This can be done using a matrix multiplication or by solving a system of equations.

3. Why is computing coordinate vectors important?

Computing coordinate vectors is important because it allows us to represent points in a vector space in a numerical form. This makes it easier to perform calculations and analyze data in a variety of fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What is the difference between a coordinate vector and a position vector?

A coordinate vector and a position vector are both used to represent points in a vector space, but they have a different mathematical meaning. A position vector specifies the location of a point in relation to an origin, while a coordinate vector specifies the position of a point in relation to a set of basis vectors.

5. Can a coordinate vector have negative values?

Yes, a coordinate vector can have negative values. The sign of the values in a coordinate vector indicates the direction and orientation of the point in relation to the basis vectors. Positive values indicate a position in the direction of the basis vectors, while negative values indicate a position in the opposite direction.