Computer engineering + quantum mechanics = ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the combination of computer engineering and quantum mechanics, and the speaker's interest in pursuing a degree in both fields. They mention their current studies in microelectronics and their discovery of quantum mechanics within it, but express difficulty in finding a program that combines both computer engineering and quantum mechanics. They suggest the possibility of quantum computing and share a resource that may be helpful in their search.
bbm4n
computer engineering + quantum mechanics = ??

hello everyone. I have a degree in Computer Engineering (5 years) and i am currently pursuing an MSc in microelectronics. There are 2 sub fields in my Msc so i chose the one which had to do with physics. In my Msc i discovered the wonderfull world of quantum mechanics! (sighs). My problem is that from all the physics I've seen the only field i like is quantum mechanics so i can't really start a degree in physics from scratch. Is there an MSc or PHd program in Computer Engineering + Quantum mechanics or something?? Every help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org

Quantum computing?

What is computer engineering + quantum mechanics?

Computer engineering + quantum mechanics is a field that combines the principles of classical computer engineering with the principles of quantum mechanics. It involves using quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to create more efficient and powerful computing systems.

How is quantum mechanics applied in computer engineering?

Quantum mechanics is applied in computer engineering through the use of quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows for more complex calculations to be performed in a shorter amount of time compared to classical computers.

What are the potential benefits of combining computer engineering and quantum mechanics?

Combining computer engineering and quantum mechanics has the potential to greatly improve computing power and efficiency. It could lead to faster and more accurate simulations, better encryption methods, and advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence and drug discovery.

What are the challenges in developing computer engineering + quantum mechanics?

One of the main challenges in developing this field is the delicate nature of quantum systems, which can easily be disrupted by external factors. Additionally, the technology and equipment required for quantum computing are still in the early stages of development and can be expensive.

What is the current state of computer engineering + quantum mechanics?

Currently, computer engineering + quantum mechanics is still in its early stages, but there have been significant advancements and breakthroughs in recent years. Companies and research institutions around the world are actively working on developing and improving this technology.