1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer science - implement a function

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Not sure where to put this thread. I'll just post it here. I need help with the following:

Can someone tell me how to do this? I have no idea. I'd really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you allowed to use other than 3-to-8 decoders -- OR gates?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Probably....these won't work?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without building it, I would guess that it could be done with two 3-to-8s if you allow ORs, but it certainly requires 3+ if you don't.

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5
    a 3 to 8 decoder can implement a 2 or 3 input NOR gate. You can build all possible
    logical circuits with NOR gates

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but you'll need many 3-to-8 decoders if you build it this way! The question asked for the minimal number of decoders, so I had to know the actual requirements.

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7

uart

Science Advisor

Yes I can do it with just two 3-to-8 decoders plus three 2-input OR gates. I've been a bit reluctant to contribute to this thread or post a complete solution becasue it certainly looks a bit like homework.

Xodox, tell us what you already know or have done. Do you know what a "min-term" is? Do you know how to construct a boolean function as a sum of min-terms? Have you learnt that a decoder can be considered as a "min-term generator"?

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good for you. It was easy enough for me to do it with only two 3-to-8s but I used more ORs.

I wonder if 3 is the minimum number of ORs with 2 decoders.

10. Sep 29, 2009 #9

uart

Science Advisor

Hi CRGreathouse, I think I know where you needed more OR gates. The A’CD + AC’D’ part is easy right, just two min terms of (A,C,D); but the A’B + AB’ may require more min terms and hence more OR gates depending on how you approach it.

You can however easily make A’B + AB’ with only two min terms of (A,B,X) if you make an appropriate choice for "X". Hint: think about boolean constants rather than only variables. :)

11. Sep 29, 2009 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nah, my approach was different. But thanks for the tip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook