1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Science vs. CDS (Computing for Scientists)?

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    I'll be a 2nd year physics student next year, and my question is should I start taking some CS classes or take CDS (Computing for Scientists)? I've heard programming is very useful for someone trying to get into research or industry, but Computing for Scientists looks obviously useful as well.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2
    I feel as though the later will require programming skills, which in my humble opinion can be obtained without taking a course. It may be easier to pace things out but I'm a decent programmer and I've never taken a course.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What topics does your Computing for Scientists course cover? I don't think they're standardized as much as, say, first year intro physics, so it's hard to say how useful a particular course is, just from the title.

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4
    From the college's website:
    "Covers use of computers to solve practical scientific problems. Topics include creating effective scientific presentations, analysis of experimental data, online literature, data/information ethics, scientific modeling, and communication/collaboration tools. Designed to equip students with the knowledge and confidence they need to use future hardware and software systems both as a student and throughout their scientific career."
    sounds very useful I think I may stick with it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook