Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing a Generating Set in Cohomology

1. May 18, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, this issue came up in another site:

We want to compute ( not just ) the deRham cohomology of ## X=\mathbb R^2 - ##{p,q} , but also

an explicit generating set for ## H^1 (X) = \mathbb Z (+) \mathbb Z## in deRham cohomology . Only explicit
    generating set I can see here is {(0, +/- 1),(+/-1,0)}. How to map this into a pair of 1-forms that generate the first deRham cohomology?

We can get the actual cohomology using , e.g., Mayer Vietoris, but , without an explicit isomorphism, I don't see how to get a generating set. Maybe we can use the explicit maps in the
    MV sequence to get some generators (in the deRham chain complex) ?

I was thinking of this: we compute ## H^1(X) ##, then we know all theories are equivalent, so this gives us singular cohomology , and then we use the explicit isomorphism in deRham's theorem to get some generators? We would see where the generators are sent.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2014 #2
    A standard example is the 1-form

[tex]\omega = \frac{ydx - xdy}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

This defines a closed form on ##\mathbb{R}^2\setminus \{(0,0)\}## that is not exact. So it serves as a basis for the cohomology group ##H^1(\mathbb{R}^2\setminus\{(0,0)\)##.

Then consider the diffeomorphisms ##F,G:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## by ##F(x,y) = (x,y) - p## and ##G(x,y) = (x,y) - q##, where ##p,q\in\mathbb{R}^2##.

Are then ##F^*\omega## and ##G^*\omega## not generating elements of ##H^1(X)##

4. May 18, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks; if I understood you correctly, I think you need to define maps F,G on or into ## \mathbb R^2 -p ## to be able to pull back the information, because w is not defined in the entire plane.

I was trying something similar, but the problem is that ## \mathbb R^2 -{p,q} ## retracts into a wedge of circles, but is not homeomorphic to it, and I don't see how to use a homotopy equivalence to pullback a form.

I still think deRham's isomorphism , if we can use singular, will send generators to generators. But, again, we would need to know an explicit generating set for singular. Maybe the actual maps in Mayer-Vietoris can help get the explicit generating set. Thanks.

5. May 18, 2014 #4
    Yes, you can just restrict domain and codomain to something suitable.

Sure.

Finding an explicit generating set for singular homology doesn't seem all that difficult. The intuition is that a circle around one of the points cannot be deformed to a point. So the idea is just to take two cycles, one surrounding ##p## and one surrounding ##q##. Then (in theory) we can find 1-forms associated with these cycles which form a basis for the deRham groups, but this seems difficult in practice.

6. May 23, 2014 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never mind, thanks, I found the answer. It is simpler than I thought.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook