Computing the integral of |s-t| from 0 to t

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Modulus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Fermat1
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
How would I compute the following integral? Let t be in [0,1].

$\int_{0}^{t}|s-t|\,ds$
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
How would I compute the following integral? Let t be in [0,1].

$\int_{0}^{t}|s-t|\,ds$

Since you are integrating on the interval $[0,t]$ so we have $0\leq s \leq t$.
 
Fermat said:
How would I compute the following integral? Let t be in [0,1].

$\int_{0}^{t}|s-t|\,ds$
The integral is for s from 0 to t so s is always less than t and s- t is always negative. |s- t|= -(s- t) so
[tex]\int_0^{t}|s- t| ds= -\int_0^t (t- s) ds= \left[ts- s^2/2\right]_0^t= t^2/2[/tex]