COMSOL Moving Mesh - Can you see it before you compute?

In summary, a moving mesh in COMSOL is a feature that allows for the mesh to change and adapt during the simulation process, particularly in problems with moving boundaries. It can greatly impact the simulation results by providing more accurate and efficient modeling. The moving mesh can be visualized before running the simulation and is set up by defining moving boundaries and adjusting mesh settings. However, there are limitations to consider, such as increased computational time and potential accuracy issues.
Aerospaztic
I'm using COMSOL 4.0a. Whenever I apply a free tetrahedral mesh, I can see it on the structure immediately. However, now I need to use a moving mesh to combine the results of structure deflection and fluid flow. I cannot get the solver to compute without errors. Am I supposed to immediately see the original position of the moving mesh once I specify all of the parameters the same way I see the tetrahedral mesh?

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out that it is okay if you don't see the moving mesh.

1. What is a moving mesh in COMSOL?

A moving mesh in COMSOL is a feature that allows the mesh to change and adapt during the simulation process. This is particularly useful for problems involving moving boundaries, such as fluid-structure interactions or heat transfer in materials with changing geometry.

2. How does the moving mesh affect the simulation results?

The moving mesh can have a significant impact on the simulation results, as it allows for more accurate and efficient modeling of systems with moving boundaries. By adapting the mesh to the changing geometry, the simulation can better capture the behavior of the system, resulting in more precise results.

3. Can I visualize the moving mesh before running the simulation?

Yes, you can see the moving mesh before computing by selecting the "Show Before Computing" option in the Mesh Settings menu. This will display the mesh before and after it has been adapted, allowing you to visualize the changes that occur during the simulation.

4. How do I set up a simulation with a moving mesh in COMSOL?

To set up a simulation with a moving mesh, you will need to define the boundaries that will be moving and specify the type of motion they will have. You can also adjust the mesh settings to control the density and quality of the mesh. It is recommended to run a stationary simulation first to ensure the model is set up correctly before adding the moving mesh.

5. Are there any limitations to using a moving mesh in COMSOL?

While the moving mesh feature is a powerful tool, there are some limitations to consider. It may not be suitable for all types of simulations, and it can significantly increase the computational time and resources required. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may depend on the type of motion and the complexity of the model.