1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrated sulfuric acid (18.4 molar) has a density of 11.84 g/ml

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    Concentrated sulfuric acid (18.4 molar) has a density of 11.84 g per ml
    dilution with water to 5.20 molar, density of 1.38 g per ml
    can be used as an a electroyte is lead batterys.

What is the molality of the 5.20 molar H2SO4 solution?

well im not exactly sure where to start, but i know that i need to find moles of solute/kg of solvent. i think i should start with grams in one liter and use that to find the number of grams or moles of solution, but other than that i am pretty lost.

where am i wrong and whats next?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Start with 1L of solution, calculate number of moles of sulfuric acid (easy part), mass of solvent (not that hard - start with mass of solution, subtract mass of sulfuric acid) and you are ready to calculate molality.
    <Moderator edited out link: "Cheat sheets" are not an effective method of learning chemistry.>

Borek
    --

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3
    can someone give me a lil more help, i understand what borek is saying, but how do i find the mass of the solvent, and what method do i use when given the density

5. Jan 15, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you recall the units for molecular weight and how to determine that using information in the periodic table? You'll need that to help you solve the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?