Concentration of Molecules in the Air

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
MysticDude
Gold Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


At a height of 300km above the Earth's surface, an astronaut finds that the atmospheric pressure is about 10-8 mmHg and the temperature 500 K. How many molecules are there per milliliter at this altitude?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I first thought that I had to calculate the amount of moles in area then multiply that by Avogadro's number. But then I realized that there is no amount of volume given here, only the height, as I was thinking about using the Ideal Gas Law. All I need is the volume, but I don't know how to get it. Was I even on the right track here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]PV = nRT \implies V/n = RT/P \implies n/V = P/RT[/itex]. To simplify your calculation, take the universal gas constant to be: [itex]R = 0.08206 \frac{\textrm{atm}\cdot\textrm{L}}{\textrm{K}\cdot\textrm{mol}}[/itex].
 
Coto said:
[itex]PV = nRT \implies V/n = RT/P \implies n/V = P/RT[/itex]. To simplify your calculation, take the universal gas constant to be: [itex]R = 0.08206 \frac{\textrm{atm}\cdot\textrm{L}}{\textrm{K}\cdot\textrm{mol}}[/itex].

Yes, but I'm missing the volume. I only have the 300 km in the air for information.
 
They're looking for mols/mL ... so no, you don't need a volume, you need an n/V ... which only requires knowledge of P and T. (Liter is a measure of volume).
 
You are given volume. They ask for number of molecules per milliliter.
 
Okay, so by using Coto's equation, I get 3.207 x 10-13[tex]\frac{mol}{L}[/tex].
So to get [itex]\frac{molecules}{milliliter}[/itex], I would have to do this:
[tex]3.207 x 10^{-13}\frac{mol}{L} x \frac{1 L}{1000 mL} x 6.022x10^{23}\frac{molecules}{mol}[/tex]...in order to get my answer, right?
 
Last edited:
Exactly... except [itex]N_A = 6.022 \cdot 10^{23}\frac{\textrm{moleculues}}{\textrm{mol}}[/itex]. Not -23 :).
 
Coto said:
Exactly... except [itex]N_A = 6.022 \cdot 10^{23}\frac{\textrm{moleculues}}{\textrm{mol}}[/itex]. Not -23 :).

I changed that a minute after I saw the negative. I guess the picture didn't update o.o

Anyway, I got something like 192764220 molecules/milliliter. Can you compare?
 
Borek said:
Close enough to what I get. Watch significant figures.
I know that I should watch significant numbers. I just plugged in everything directly into my calculator. Thanks a bunch for checking!