Concept and theories of Quantum Physics

In summary: TheBiologist, you'd probably be best off just buying one the standard introductory textbooks to quantum mechanics. I like Griffiths for a first course since he's pretty wordy and makes for a pretty gentle introduction. Others here will have other suggestions, I'm sure. Debating the merits of various quantum mechanics textbooks is a frequent past-time here so if you do a forum search you will find many other suggestions.
TheBiologist
Could someone please explain to me the concept and theories of 'Quantum Physics', as I am quite perplexed at this topic, but simultaneously intrigued at the thought of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty broad request, kind of like asking "please explain physics to me". Have you started with Google?

Doc Al said:
That's a pretty broad request, kind of like asking "please explain physics to me". Have you started with Google?
Not yet, I'll try it now, though.

Doc Al said:
Ok, so is quantum physics the fundamental branch of physics that focuses on physical phenomena at (nanoscopic scales)? Just want to see if my research is valid.

bhobba said:
You might find the following helps:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

There may well be something to Scott's suggestion that quantum mechanics ought to be first introduced that way, but given those are notes for a graduate course in quantum computing I think that particular presentation is way too truncated to be of any use to someone who doesn't already know quantum mechanics. Until someone does develop a full ground-up introduction to QM from an information theoretic stand point, best to stick with the standard pedagogy.

TheBiologist, you'd probably be best off just buying one the standard introductory textbooks to quantum mechanics. I like Griffiths for a first course since he's pretty wordy and makes for a pretty gentle introduction. Others here will have other suggestions, I'm sure. Debating the merits of various quantum mechanics textbooks is a frequent past-time here so if you do a forum search you will find many other suggestions.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other at the quantum level, which is different from the classical laws of physics that govern larger objects.

2. What are the key concepts of quantum physics?

The key concepts of quantum physics include the wave-particle duality, superposition, and entanglement. The wave-particle duality states that particles can behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on how they are observed. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement is a phenomenon in which particles become connected and can affect each other's behavior regardless of the distance between them.

3. What are the major theories in quantum physics?

The two main theories in quantum physics are quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while quantum field theory extends this understanding to include the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level.

4. How has quantum physics revolutionized our understanding of the universe?

Quantum physics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by challenging our traditional concepts of space, time, and causality. It has also led to the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips. Additionally, quantum physics has helped us better understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, leading to advancements in fields such as chemistry and material science.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Some real-world applications of quantum physics include quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. Quantum computing uses the principles of quantum mechanics to perform complex calculations at a much faster rate than classical computers. Cryptography uses the principles of quantum mechanics to create highly secure communication systems. Medical imaging techniques such as MRI and PET scans also rely on principles of quantum physics to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures.