1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept of Distance and time. (basic question but no answer)

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car P is 1km from finish line with a speed of 35ms-1 and a uniform acceleration of 2/5ms-2
    Car Y is 1.2km from finish line going at 44ms-1 and a uniform accelr of 1/2ms-1
    show that Y passes p 220m before the finish line.

2. Relevant equations

v2=u2+2as
    s=vt-1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    so the acceleration when they are both in the same position is 0. thus i can use s=vt-1/2at^2 for both and cancel them out. so it would be 220=(44)t-(1/2)(1/2)t^2 for Y and for P it would be 220=(35)t-1/2(2/5)t^2. but then i end up with 0=9t-(1/20)t^2. then what???? after that I'm lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2
    How did you come up with this?

Why minus?

The problem states that you have to prove that car Y passes the car P 220 m before the finish line. What is the distance that each car has to pass in order to get to that position, i.e. 220 m before finish line?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook