Concept Question about Resonance and Oscillations

In summary, the individual is wondering if resonant vibrations are causing their shoelaces to become untied more frequently when they walk faster. They are seeking clarification on whether resonance can overcome friction and if their understanding is correct. They are also looking for recommendations to better understand physics. Another user responds and suggests that resonance is not likely the cause for the shoelaces becoming untied and offers a different explanation. They also recommend trying a different walking pattern to test the theory.
Kraygar
This may sound like a strange question...

I was walking away from my physics class today and I wondered if resonant vibrations were the reason my shoelaces become untied. I noticed that when I walk faster, and produce what I believe are more forced oscillations, they become untied more frequently.

If I am thinking about this correctly, does this mean that resonance can overcome friction?

In trying to understand physics better, I've been trying to relate new concepts to more simple ideas. If I am very off base, any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Kraygar! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm sure that resonance can overcome friction …*but I don't think that's happening with your shoe-laces.

Unless your shoelaces are under tension (which, as soon as they become slightly loose, they can't be), what would be resonating?

Also, resonance depends fairly precisely on frequency … if your loosening just steadily increases with frequency, that's just because you're using extra force.

Have you tried walking at the same speed, but with more frequent footsteps? :smile:

That is a very interesting question! Resonance is indeed a concept that can be applied to many different situations, including the vibrations of shoelaces. In simple terms, resonance occurs when a system is able to absorb and store energy from an external force, and then release that energy at a specific frequency or rate. In the case of your shoelaces, the vibrations caused by your walking may be causing the laces to move in a way that allows them to absorb energy and eventually become untied. It is possible that the faster you walk, the more energy is being transferred to the laces, causing them to become untied more frequently. As for your question about resonance overcoming friction, it is not necessarily overcoming it, but rather utilizing it to create the desired motion. Friction is still present, but the resonant vibrations are able to overcome it and create the movement of the laces. Keep exploring and relating new concepts to everyday experiences, it's a great way to deepen your understanding of physics!

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force or stimuli. This can result in a large amplitude of oscillation and can occur in various systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and acoustic systems.

2. How does resonance differ from oscillation?

Oscillation refers to the back and forth movement of an object or system around its equilibrium position, while resonance specifically refers to the amplification of oscillations due to the natural frequency of the system being matched with an external force.

3. What factors affect resonance?

The factors that affect resonance include the natural frequency of the system, the amplitude of the external force, and the damping or resistance present in the system. These factors can influence the strength and duration of the resonance effect.

4. How is resonance used in everyday life?

Resonance has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in musical instruments to produce sound, in radio and television to enhance signals, and in buildings and bridges to reduce vibrations caused by external forces. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.

5. Can resonance be harmful?

While resonance can have beneficial effects, it can also be harmful in certain situations. For example, when an object's natural frequency matches the frequency of an external force, it can lead to destructive vibrations and potentially cause damage. This is why engineers and designers must consider resonance effects when creating structures and systems.