Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Question about Resonance and Oscillations

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    This may sound like a strange question...

I was walking away from my physics class today and I wondered if resonant vibrations were the reason my shoelaces become untied. I noticed that when I walk faster, and produce what I believe are more forced oscillations, they become untied more frequently.

If I am thinking about this correctly, does this mean that resonance can overcome friction?

In trying to understand physics better, I've been trying to relate new concepts to more simple ideas. If I am very off base, any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Kraygar! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm sure that resonance can overcome friction …*but I don't think that's happening with your shoe-laces.

Unless your shoelaces are under tension (which, as soon as they become slightly loose, they can't be), what would be resonating?

Also, resonance depends fairly precisely on frequency … if your loosening just steadily increases with frequency, that's just because you're using extra force.

Have you tried walking at the same speed, but with more frequent footsteps? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?