1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I On liquid oscillation excitation

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    (I'm new to the Forum, so if I violate the rules unknowingly, please do let me know)
    So, during a recent research, I analyzed the frequency spectrum of our hand's oscillation while walking.
    As it turns out, it contains distinct harmonic frequencies (around 1.8*n Hz), and the second among them corresponds to the natural frequency of the first antisymmetric mode (FAM) of liquid oscillation inside an upright cylindrical container with radius 8cm and height 9cm.

Would the following statement be physically sound?
    "Since the driving force (exerted by the hand, and subsequently the cup) contains a frequency component that corresponds to the natural frequency of the FAM, resonance occurs for the FAM."

Or does resonance only occur when a purely sinusoidal signal is imposed upon the system?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Resonance can be observed with excitation that is periodic; the excitation need not be any particular wave shape. Your statement is valid. It might read better were it expressed: "... the periodic driving force ..." or "... the driving force function ...", or "... the motion of the hand (and consequently of the cup) ...".

4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    thanks alot! :)

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4
    Mr. Jiwon Han, in your research you overlooked an important aspect which I feel would be eye opening once tested!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted