1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual audiobooks on physics/engineering

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    I drive 45 mins one way to class 5 days a week and started thinking maybe it wouldn't be so miserable if I had something interesting to listen to instead of the same music over and over.

I'm a mech engineering undergrad with an aerospace concentration, at I'd guess the sophomore level. Not completely sure since I transferred in, but currently only in calculus 2 and physics 1 if that makes a difference on section.

I'm really interested in physics and engineering topics, as well as maybe a good biography of a great physicist/engineer. Einsteins life intrigues me but there are so many books about him that I'm not sure which would be better.

With my current level Of education and only wanting an audiobook, it'd have to more about concepts and the basics of whichever subject.

Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

xristy

Gold Member

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
  5. Mar 12, 2012 #4
    Thank You for you suggestions! I'm planning to order The Strangest Man on iTunes in the morning, the first two however seem to have some reviews that are scaring me off.

I just finished reading the book, e=mc2, by Jeff Stewart over spring break and really enjoyed it. Im not too experienced with much past the basics but love to learn about physics but I also don't want things to go over my head because I haven't learned it yet. Do you think the first two will be okay given my current education level?

Also any suggestions are welcome, especially ones that will further my knowledge of physics!

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5

xristy

Gold Member

"The Day We Found the Universe" is a very nicely told story of how we came to know about galaxies and the expansion of the universe up to around the mid 1950's.There's a lot about the people and the rivalries that developed the great observatories.

The book certainly doesn't demand anything beyond high school science. I found no problem with the narration.

"The Quantum Story" makes more demands for full comprehension but is also a really accessible whirl wind tour through the 20th century of the quantum from Planck through the Manhattan Project, QED, the Standard Model, Bell and beyond. There's a lot there about the people and some of the flavor of science in the making. It's like a more complete (in the sense that it covers a longer time period) and much less demanding "Inward Bound" by A. Pais.

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6
    Thanks a lot for giving a little more info on them. I think The Quantum Story will be my next purchase, or maybe I will get that one first and strangest man second. Either way, thank you for your suggestions!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook