1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Conceptual & cross-subject questions for indep. study of physics

1. Jul 5, 2015 #1
    Physics forum users,
    Thanks in advance for your help and discussion!

I am looking for conceptual problems in introductory physics which include solutions -- for self study. It should cover all the material for the IIT or GRE exams, but should emphasize forming connections, analysis and applying principles cumulatively -- in addition to questions that are specific only to the topic of one chapter/section.

An example of conceptual questions is the "questions" at end of chapters in the Halliday, D. & Resnick, R. text -- this text includes at end of chapter first a "questions" section, followed by a "problems" section, but I did not find solutions on the Internet/in-print to the former.
    --But even if I found a solution-set against which I can check my work, maybe the Halliday, D. & Resnick, R. text is not the right thing given my goal that I mentioned.
    Maybe at the other extreme would be "Thinking Physics" by Epstein, L., which I read about but haven't seen -- maybe that would be useful but would not suffice for forming an understanding.

I also want to find some experimental guidebook that would supplement this study.

To that end, background about myself:
    I have background in math at the level of the GRE (math) subject test and some topics more advanced than that.

However, I have very little knowledge of any kind in physics. Only basic one-particle-mass dynamics, say.

That said, engineering subjects such as stability of (physical, man-made) structures and practical design, or modelling related problems as a boundary-value problem are what interest me.

Dan

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2
    So that you don't get the wrong impression -- I do not believe my mentioned endeavour to be equivalent in any way to a degree in physics. Probably the scope I am presently concerned with concentrates on the common core studied in engineering or physics degrees, but with the emphasis I described. I mentioned the GRE subject test because the physics 1 - 3 texts are recommended in preparing for it on the Internet, but maybe in reality this exam requires more specialization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted