Conceptual problem Dynamics Hibbeler 12 Edition

In summary, the problem asks for a strategy to determine the acceleration of a plane at a given moment, based on the wingspan and constant airspeed provided. The photo given shows the plane's current position and its previous trajectory, but measurements from the photo are not helpful in determining the acceleration. It is important to focus on the plane's motion at the moment the photo was taken, rather than its previous trajectory. The type of motion and known distances in the photo may provide clues to determine the acceleration.
elvis.2

Homework Statement

Pl2-4. The pilot tells you the wingspan of her plane and her
constant airspeed. How would you determine the acceleration
of the plane at the moment shown? Use numerical values and
take any necessary measurements from the photo.

Here is the photo to the problem
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/conceptual.jpg/

Homework Equations

All data and revelant questions are given on the problem statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to measure from the photo but didn't know if it was accurate

Physics news on Phys.org
Guiding questions:
What did you measure from the photo?
You need to say what you actually did.

What are the relevant equations?
None are provided in the problem statement.

Note: the problem asks for a strategy, not a solution. What was your strategy?

I try to measure the span of the smoke created by the plane in order to establish some numerical values and see if that relates to the acceleration but it also talks about the wingspan of the plane, that is part of the confusion I have.

A measurement of so-and-so centimeters on the picture tells you nothing about how far the plane actually went or the dimensions of the motion. If only there was some known length in the picture that you could use as a scale... do you know what kind of acceleration would be important here: you are told the plane flies at a constant speed?

Exactly as you there is not much given data and measurements won't help much. Well from the photo it can be say that the plane flies along a circular path but then if that is true, it would have tangential and normal components of acceleration. The planes does flies at constant speed.

It doesn't matter what the plane was doing before it got to its current position, as shown by the smoke trail.

All that matter is what it is doing when the photo was actually taken.

Sorry if that is a bit cryptic, but it's hard to give you any hints about this without telling you the answer.

@elvis.2: If the plane flies at a constant speed, what is it's tangential acceleration? (I'm kinda disappointed that you gave up on measurements so quickly - can you think of no way to determine distances in the photo? Are there no known distances in the photo that you can use as a scale?)

@AlephZero: I'm surprised, surely the type of motion affects the acceleration and the past trajectory is a clue to that motion? Perhaps we need to discuss this behind the scenes - make sure we are on the same page?

The problem is asking us to guess how the motion continues after the previous curve - which is presumably part of the "conceptual" part.

What is the main purpose of studying conceptual problems in dynamics?

The main purpose of studying conceptual problems in dynamics is to develop a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of motion and forces. This will allow us to apply these principles to real-world situations and solve complex problems.

What are the key topics covered in the Hibbeler 12th edition of "Conceptual problem Dynamics"?

The Hibbeler 12th edition of "Conceptual problem Dynamics" covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion. It also includes discussions on the application of these principles to different types of systems and scenarios.

How can solving conceptual problems in dynamics improve problem-solving skills?

Solving conceptual problems in dynamics requires a thorough understanding of the underlying principles and the ability to apply them in various situations. This promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields of science and engineering.

What are some common mistakes students make when solving conceptual problems in dynamics?

Some common mistakes students make when solving conceptual problems in dynamics include not fully understanding the given problem, not correctly identifying relevant principles, and making errors in calculations or unit conversions. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check all steps and calculations.

How can I improve my understanding of conceptual problems in dynamics?

Improving your understanding of conceptual problems in dynamics requires consistent practice and application of the principles. It can also be helpful to seek additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or working with a tutor. Collaborating with peers and discussing different approaches to solving problems can also enhance understanding.