Simple kinetics problem / Dynamics /

In summary, the problem is to solve reaction forces in the joint B when the moment is starting to affect. Unknown variables are; L1, L2, m1, and m2. The homework equations state that I must have six equations in order to solve for all possible positions. The attempt at a solution involved finding the equations of motion for θ, which were then used to find x and \phi. If I treat θ as an independent variable, then the equations of motion for both \phi and x are dependent upon θ. It was then possible to solve for both \phi and x using the previous equations and the known velocities and accelerations. However, the problem still remains unsolved for me.
petterik
Simple kinetics problem / Dynamics / Simultaneous equations

I've been trying to solve this problem for hours, not finding the solution. Therefore this question to PhysicsForums homeworks section. Question is just part of the problem, but in order to fully understand issue I must have these joint forces to be clear for myself.

Homework Statement

Problem is to solve reaction forces in the joint B when the moment is starting to affect.

Known variables are;

L1 = 0.36 m
L2 = 0.40 m
m1 = 3.2 kg
m2 = 3.2 kg
θ = 26°
M = 30 Nm

roller C is expected to be weightless.

Homework Equations

I do have created equations for this. From the F = ma i got all in all six equations. (Described in the attachment.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve equations based on the fact that number of equations = Unsolved variables, but finding the needed 3 kinematics equations I am not so sure.

How to find Bx and By with the given data?

EDIT;

- Added picture "equations". - 22.4
- Title corrected.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 558
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 537
  • equations.jpg
    equations.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

petterik said:
I've been trying to solve equations based on the fact that number of equations = Unsolved variables, but finding the needed 3 kinematics equations I am not so sure.

Problem is likely to be that I am not able to compose these kinetics equations. Any hints for learning how to create these needed equations?

I found some similar looking example from the internet. (See attachment.)

But still I do not know Angular velocity (ω) for this. I must derive it somehow? Any assistance for this, or hints where to start?

Attachments

• moment.jpg
    moment.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 649
This file might help to learn this issue also. Just don't get it. (See attachment in case interested in understanding this prob.) Similar looking examples with some variation.

Attachments

• help.pdf
    135 KB · Views: 1,068
You have just stumbled upon a great fundamental truth! The hardest part of almost all dynamics problems is the kinematics portion. There is a great tendency for most folks to want to simply leap directly over the kinematics, saying, "Oh, that is only kinematics, but that is most often the key to the problem!

The length of the inclined bar is

L3 = √((L1)2+(L2)2)

For your problem, let us let your frame move slightly, so that the upright arm, L1, is at an angle θ with the vertical, and then let the inclined arm, L3 make an angle [itex]\phi[/itex]. Then we can write two geometric relations that must apply for all possible positions:

L1 sinθ + L3 cos [itex]\phi[/itex] - X = 0
L1 cosθ - L3 sin [itex]\phi[/itex] = 0

where x is the new length along bottom edge after the structure has moved. These two equations are obtained by simply summing displacements around the structure, first horizontally, then vertically, and in each case insisting that the summation must close, i.e., that we must return to the starting point.

Now, if you treat θ as independent variable, then [itex]\phi[/itex] and x each depend upon θ
so that you can write all of the equations of motion in terms of this one variable. To do this, you need to know how the velocities and accelerations are related, so first solve the previous equations for [itex]\phi[/itex] and x.

Looking at the second equation,
L3 sin [itex]\phi[/itex] = L1 cosθ
sin [itex]\phi[/itex] = (L1 / L3) cosθ

d[itex]\phi[/itex]/dt cos [itex]\phi[/itex] = - (L1 / L3) sinθ
from which d[itex]\phi[/itex]/dt is easily evaluated. The other equation can be used to evaluate dx/dt in terms of dθ/dt. They can both be differentiated again to get the accelerations. See if this will get you going.

Thanks for your efforts, but it still not helped me much. So the problem remains unsolved for me. :)

1. What is a simple kinetics problem?

A simple kinetics problem is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs. It involves determining the concentration of reactants and products over time, and can be used to analyze the speed of a reaction and predict its outcome.

2. How is kinetics related to dynamics?

Kinetics and dynamics are both branches of physical chemistry that deal with the study of motion and change. Kinetics focuses on the rate of change in chemical reactions, while dynamics deals with the forces that cause objects to move and change their position. Kinetics is often used in conjunction with dynamics to understand the movement of particles in a chemical reaction.

3. What are the key components of a simple kinetics problem?

The key components of a simple kinetics problem include the initial concentrations of reactants and products, the rate constant of the reaction, and the order of the reaction. The initial concentrations and rate constant can be determined experimentally, while the order of the reaction can be determined from the rate law.

4. How do you solve a simple kinetics problem?

To solve a simple kinetics problem, you first need to determine the order of the reaction by analyzing the rate law. Then, you can use the initial concentrations and rate constant to set up and solve the integrated rate law for the specific order of the reaction. Finally, you can use the calculated values to plot a graph and determine the rate constant and reaction order.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple kinetics problems?

Simple kinetics problems have many real-world applications, including drug development, food processing, and environmental studies. They are used to determine the optimal conditions for a chemical reaction, to predict the shelf life of products, and to understand the impact of pollutants on the environment. They are also important in industrial processes, such as the production of fuels and plastics.