Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conceptual problem with projectile motion

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4554/physicshomework.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the right answer because it is obvious, but I wanted to practice working this out regardless, and I have something slightly different for hmax.

First, I found the y-component of velocity to be:

[itex]V_{o}sin\theta_{o} - 9.8t[/itex]

It follows that at the highest point, that this is equal to 0. So I set it equal to 0 and solved for t.

[itex]t = \frac{V_{o}sin\theta_{o}}{9.8}[/itex]

Integrating my y velocity gives y position:

[itex]y(t) = (V_{o}sin\theta_{o})t - 4.9t^{2}[/itex]

And solving for our time gives me:

[itex]h_{max} = V_{o}sin\theta_{o}(\frac{V_{o}sin\theta_{o}}{9.8}) - 4.9(\frac{V_{o}sin\theta_{o}}{9.8})^{2}[/itex]

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT nevermind! They are the same, just had to do some algebra.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first thing you did wrong is writing 9.8 instead of g. If you go back and fix that and do a little algebra you'll see you already have the same answer as in the image.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure why you think that's wrong, I didn't forget halfway through the problem that they are the same..

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's wrong because now you have to change 9.8 back to g and 4.9 back to g/2. Why didn't you just leave it g to begin with? That's what I mean by 'wrong'. It's sort of a tactical error. You're making life complicated by leaving numbers floating around instead of 'g'.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    Not sure, I just wrote it that way without thinking. What I meant was that I didn't get to the end and say "they have g where I have 9.8, what is going on."

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook