Verification of Ampere-Maxwell Law

In summary, the hole in the wire causes the charge to increase with time. The magnetic field from the wire travels in a circular path around the wire, and the integral form of Maxwell's equation becomes BC. The left hand side of the equation becomes kI/r^2 and is parallel to the normal to the area dA. The area of the small hole is A and the circumference is 2 pi R.
Alex145

Homework Statement

A current I flows along a wire toward a point charge, causing the charge to increase with time. Consider a spherical surface S centred at the charge, with a tiny hole where the wire is – see figure below. The circumference C of this hole is the boundary of the surface S. Verify that the integral form of Maxwell’s equation

$$\oint_{c} \vec B \cdot d \vec s = \int_{s}( \mu_{o} \vec J + \epsilon_{o} \mu_{o} \frac {\partial \vec E} {\partial t}) \cdot d \vec A $$

I attached a picture of the problem for clarification.

Homework Equations

$$B_{wire} = \frac {\mu_{o} I} {4 \pi R} (cos \theta_{1} - cos \theta_{2})$$R is the radius of the small hole.

$$E = \frac {k_{e} q} {r^2}$$r is the distance to the small hole from the built up charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering that the magnetic field from the current carrying wire travels in a circular path around the wire, ##\vec B \cdot d \vec s## becomes ##B ds##. The left hand integral would then just be BC. The time derivative of ##\vec E## becomes ##k_{e} I/r^2## and is parallel to the normal to the area ##d \vec A##. Plugging all of this into the above equations leaves

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I} {4 \pi R} C (cos \theta_{1} - cos \theta_{2}) = (\mu_{o} J + \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {k_{e} I} {r^2})A$$ The area of the small hole is ##A = \pi R^2##.

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I} {4 \pi R} C (cos \theta_{1} - cos \theta_{2}) = \mu_{o} I + \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {k_{e} I} {r^2} \pi R^2$$ For a "tiny" hole, the value R is much less than r. So, ##\theta_{1} \approx 0## and ##\theta_{2} \approx 180##. We then have

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I} {4 \pi R} C (1-(-1)) = \mu_{o} I + \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {k_{e} I} {r^2} \pi R^2$$

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I C} {2 \pi R} = \mu_{o} I + \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {k_{e} I} {r^2} \pi R^2$$

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I C} {2 \pi R} = \mu_{o} I + \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {I} {4 \pi \epsilon_{o} r^2} \pi R^2$$ The circumference C is just ##2 \pi R## so this becomes

$$\mu_{o} I = \mu_{o} I + \mu_{o} \frac {I} {4 r^2} R^2$$ Once again using the approximation that R is much less than r, we find that the second term ##\approx 0## and that both sides are equal. My question is, is there a way to solve this problem without using the above approximations and assumptions? Or even without the use of a formula for the magnetic field from the wire?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.35.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.35.09 PM.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 630
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait a minute. Your figure shows that ##S## is the surface of the large sphere of radius ##R## minus the area of the small circle of circumference ##C##. That's fine. But if that's the case, what is the first integral on the right side, namely ## \int_{s} \mu_0 \vec J \cdot d \vec A~?## Isn't it zero because ##\vec J## is zero everywhere on the surface ##S## that you have chosen? Also, can you explain what ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## are?

Yeah I was confused about the surface as I didn't find the question clear on that. If that's the case then I'll have to go over the electric flux integral again. The angles ##\theta_{1}## and ##\theta_{2}## are between the axis of the wire and the vector from the wire pointing to any point on the circumference C. In this case I would get

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I C} {2 \pi R} = \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {k_{e} I} {r^2} (4 \pi r^2 - \pi R^2)$$

$$\frac {\mu_{o} I 2 \pi R} {2 \pi R} = \mu_{o} \epsilon_{o} \frac {I} {4 \pi \epsilon_{o} r^2} (4 \pi r^2 - \pi R^2)$$

$$\mu_{o} I = \mu_{o} \frac {I} {4 \pi r^2} (4 \pi r^2 - \pi R^2)$$

$$\mu_{o} I = \mu_{o} {I} (1 - \frac { R^2} {4 r^2})$$ And again saying that R is small compared to r, the second term ##\approx 0##. Does this make sense? Is there another way to approach the problem?

Last edited:

1. What is the Ampere-Maxwell Law?

The Ampere-Maxwell Law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It states that the circulation of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the electric current passing through the loop and the rate of change of electric flux through the loop.

2. How is the Ampere-Maxwell Law derived?

The Ampere-Maxwell Law is derived from a combination of the laws of electromagnetism, specifically Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law of Induction. It was first introduced by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s as part of his theory of electromagnetism.

3. What is the significance of the Ampere-Maxwell Law?

The Ampere-Maxwell Law is significant because it helps to explain the relationship between electricity and magnetism, which are two fundamental forces in the universe. It also serves as a key equation in the field of electromagnetism and has many practical applications in areas such as electrical engineering and telecommunications.

4. How is the Ampere-Maxwell Law verified?

The Ampere-Maxwell Law can be verified through experimental observations and measurements. This can be done by conducting experiments with electric currents and magnetic fields and comparing the results to the predictions of the law. Additionally, the law has been validated through numerous theoretical calculations and mathematical proofs.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ampere-Maxwell Law?

While the Ampere-Maxwell Law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism, it is not a complete description of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It does not take into account relativistic effects or the quantum nature of particles. Additionally, in certain extreme conditions, such as near black holes, the law may not accurately predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.