Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question - relative accleration of rigid bodies

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2
    To my knowledge, link AB should only have a normal component of acceleration. Whereas, link BD could have a combination of both normal and tangential. Also, point P will only a tangential acceleration.

Even though link AB has constant angular velocity, doesn't mean that BD will also have constant angular velocity. As if you were to do the relative velocity diagram of this problem you'd notice that there is both translation and rotation of link BD.

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3
    Hmm, so if I have theta=0, AB and BD are both going straight up and D is at its highest point, what happens then? The normal acceleration in AB doesn't change, but then the acceleration of BD would be (alpha x rBD) + w x (w x rBD). So the tangential acceleration would be k x j = i. Then the normal would be j x k = i, k x i =j? I think I get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted