Concise introductory physics texts

In summary, the conversation is about finding a concise introductory physics textbook that meets certain criteria, such as being 500 pages or less, not cluttered with extraneous information, including partial solutions, and covering a range of topics including electricity, magnetism, physical chemistry, relativity, and quantum mechanics. The speaker mentions that finding such a textbook is challenging due to the current trend of authors being paid per page. They recommend a comprehensive textbook with calculus-based content and a large volume. They also suggest using calculus as a language and recommend another textbook that meets the criteria. Another suggestion is Mansfield and Sullivan's Understanding Physics, which has around 600 pages and includes numerical answers in the back.
UncelDolan
I am looking for a title on introductory physics meeting criteria that are seldom met these days.

• Concise, ideally 500 pages or less
  • Not cluttered with lots of extraneous boxes and such. (This ties into the first criterion.)
  • Has at least partial solutions in the back
  • Calculus-based but not exceedingly formal
  • In addition to the standard Galileo / Newton fare, covers electricity and magnetism, some physical chemistry, relativity, quantum mechanics.

The only criteria that are non-negotiable for my purposes are conciseness and the use of some calculus. Everything else can in principle be sacrificed. Unfortunately, textbook authors seem to be paid per page anymore. That is why this search is not easy. All suggestions meeting these criteria are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are decided on a calculus-based book, I strongly recommend a comprehensive textbook that won't skimp on detail. This one that I usually recommend comes in 3 parts or a single huge volume:

Young & Freedman - University Physics Vol 1
... Volume 2
... Volume 3

Since you'll be using calculus, using it on many topics can only help you become very good at it.

To see what topics it includes, use Look Inside on volume 2.

Hmm, I think I should qualify my suggestion. Calculus-based books must use calculus like a language, the math must flow like words. It can't be tacked on. This is why I chose to recommend a comprehensive book, with as it happens a ton of content. It isn't concise, but you don't have to read everything, and it is always there to go back to later. And every page (almost) will have calculus on it. This is what you want, I think.

This might help a bit:

http://www.springer.com/physics/book/978-0-387-79079-4

What I want is something almost exactly like this, except with partial answers to exercises and some calculus. In this one, lots of deltas are used instead.

Notice that you can download the ToC from Springer's website there.

How about Mansfield and Sullivan's Understanding Physics?
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP001906.html
~600 pages, numerical answers in the back, calculus-based.

Likes 1 person
That looks real good.

1. What topics are typically covered in concise introductory physics texts?

Concise introductory physics texts typically cover topics such as motion, forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, waves, and light. They may also include basic concepts in mechanics, thermodynamics, and atomic and nuclear physics.

2. Are these texts suitable for beginners with no prior knowledge of physics?

Yes, these texts are designed for beginners with little to no prior knowledge of physics. They provide a clear and concise introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, making it easier for beginners to understand.

3. What makes a concise introductory physics text different from a regular physics textbook?

Concise introductory physics texts are designed to be more streamlined and focused compared to regular physics textbooks. They typically cover the most essential concepts and principles in a shorter and more simplified manner, making them easier to understand for beginners.

4. Can these texts be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These texts can be used for both self-study and classroom use. They are written in a clear and accessible manner, making it possible for individuals to learn on their own. However, they can also be used as a supplement to classroom instruction.

5. What are some recommended concise introductory physics texts?

Some popular and highly recommended concise introductory physics texts include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Concepts of Physics" by Dr. H.C. Verma, and "Essential University Physics" by Richard Wolfson. It is always best to consult with your instructor or do some research to find the best text for your specific needs.