1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition for this polynomial to be a perfect square

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The condition that [itex]x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d [/itex] is a perfect square, is

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If the above polynomial will be a perfect square then it can be represented as

[itex](x-\alpha)^2(x-\beta)^2[/itex] where α and β are the roots of it.This means that two roots of it will be identical.
    Am I correct in my assumption?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Why do the 2 roots have to be identical? You've already shown what the general form of a quartic (degree 4 polynomial) needs to be in for it to be a perfect square, so go ahead and expand.

Although, I'd suggest you make the general form a general quadratic squared, so you'll have

[tex](x^2+mx+n)^2[/tex]

And once you expand this out, you can compare coefficients and find the conditions on a,b,c,d as required.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    What does it mean to be a perfect square?

If the equation is quadratic ax^2+bx+c then it is a perfect square if it can be factored as (x+k)^2, ie two identical factors.

If you're starting with a fourth degree polynomial and you want to constrain it to be a perfect square then it must be the product of two identical factors. That factor must be a polynomial of degree 2 since you need an x^4 term when it is multiplied out. The most general form of a second degree polynomial is given above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook