1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove that the product of 4 consecutive numbers cannot be a perfect square

1. May 28, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3) cannot be a square

2. Relevant equations

Uniqueness of prime factors for a given number

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure but I think I've proved a stronger case for how product of consecutive numbers cannot be squares. I dunno whether it is right

proof :

The product of two consecutive numbers are coprime so cannot be square

in the product of three consecutive numbers eg n(n+1)(n+2), two of those consecutive numbers are divisible by 2 and not a square number but the other isn't divisible by 2 . If that other is a perfect square, then also the product of a square and a nonsquare number cannot be square .Thus 3 consecutive numbers cannot form a perfect square

Now consider 4 numbers n(n+1)(n+2)(n+4). There are 3 consecutive numbers such that their products are divisible by 3 but are not a perfect square . The other number isn't divisible by 3 therefore product of 4 consecutive numbers cannot be perfect square . Thus so on and forever.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2018 #2
    Agh, I meant product !

4. May 28, 2018 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I corrected the title.

5. May 28, 2018 #4
    Thanks

btw would you know why I've got no response yet? Is what I've written badly wrong or am I just not clear enough here ?

6. May 28, 2018 #5

Mark44

Here's a different approach that is less wordy. If n(n + 1)(n + 2)(n + 3) is a perfect square, it must be equal to ##(n + a)^4## for some integer a, and for all integers n.
    Expanding the two expressions, we get ##n^4 + 6n^3 + 11n^2 + 6n## and ##n^4 + 4an^3 + 6a^2n^2 + 4a^3n + a^4##. Equate the coefficients to see that the original expression can't be a perfect square.

7. May 28, 2018 #6
    Ah hello, thanks for the response

Can you tell me why you put it as (n+a)^4 ? surely if it's a perfect square it should be of form k^2 where k = n + a. we can't say if k will remain an integer if another root is taken to make it to the fourth power .

8. May 28, 2018 #7

Mark44

##(n + a)^2## won't give us the fourth powers that we have when we expand n(n + 1)(n + 2)(n + 3). ##(n + a)^4## is a perfect square (of ##(n + a)^2##).

9. May 28, 2018 #8
    I dunno, say for example that n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3) leads to a number like 9 ie 3*3 . this cannot be written as a fourth power in form (n+a)^4, can it ?

10. May 28, 2018 #9

Mark44

Can 9 be written as the product of four consecutive integers? If not, then it doesn't matter that 9 isn't a perfect fourth power.

11. Jun 14, 2018 #10
    I really can't see why n(n + 1)(n + 2)(n + 3) = (n+a)^4 has to be true for all n. If it isn't true, than equating coefficients isn't valid.
    Your method would also prove that n(n+1)(n+2)(n+5) can't be a perfect square, wich has an obvious counterexample.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. Jun 15, 2018 #11

Mark44

This is part of a proof by contradiction. The original statement is that n(n + 1)(n + 2)(n + 3) can't be a perfect square. In the proof by contradiction, we assume that n(n + 1)(n + 2)(n + 3) is a perfect square, and look for a contradiction.

13. Jun 15, 2018 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't that be ##(n^2+a)^2##?

14. Jun 15, 2018 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree completely. I don't think that is valid. One way to actually do this is to multiply ##n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)## out and notice that it's pretty close to being the square of something. How close is it to being a square?

15. Jun 15, 2018 #14

Mark44

Could be. I know that we have to have four factors of n, but I haven't worked the problem out.

16. Jun 15, 2018 #15

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An arbitrary square is of the form ##(n^2 + a)^2##, but not necessarily ##(n+a)^4##.

And, as others have pointed out you are looking for a single solution for ##n, a##, not polynomial equality for all ##n##.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted