Conditional Probability on Intermediate Event

In summary, this formula is used to calculate the probability of two events, where one event is contained within the other. The first equation calculates the probability of the event that is contained within the other, and the second equation calculates the probability of the event that is not contained within the other.
I have seen in class the following formula used:

[itex]P(A | C) = \sum_{B} P(A | B \cap C)*P(B | C)[/itex]

I don't understand how this formula works? Can anyone help me understand how it can be derived and how I can understand it intuitively? Can a venn diagram be drawn to illustrate this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
3.141592654 said:

I don't understand how this formula works? Can anyone help me understand how it can be derived and how I can understand it intuitively? Can a venn diagram be drawn to illustrate this formula?

It seems you need a B somewhere on the left side of the equation for it to make sense (ie P(A|B,C))

This is a formula that is seen, for example, in Uniformization:

[itex]P_{ij}(t) = P(X(t) = j|X(0) = i)[/itex]

[itex] = \sum^{n=0}_{\infty} P(X(t) = j|X(0) = i, N(t) = n)P(N(t) = n|X(0) = i)[/itex]

[itex] = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} P^{n}_{ij} \frac{(e^{vt})(vt^n)}{n!} [/itex]

Where [itex]P_{ij}(t)[/itex] is the transition probability in a continuous time Markov Chain.

Going from the first to second line above is where I got the generalized equation I presented in my original post.

3.141592654 said:
This is a formula that is seen, for example, in Uniformization:

[itex]P_{ij}(t) = P(X(t) = j|X(0) = i)[/itex]

[itex] = \sum^{n=0}_{\infty} P(X(t) = j|X(0) = i, N(t) = n)P(N(t) = n|X(0) = i)[/itex]

[itex] = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} P^{n}_{ij} \frac{(e^{vt})(vt^n)}{n!} [/itex]

Where [itex]P_{ij}(t)[/itex] is the transition probability in a continuous time Markov Chain.

Going from the first to second line above is where I got the generalized equation I presented in my original post.

Hey 3.141592654.

You should try going from the fundamental matrix relationship for continuous time markov chains which is in the form:

dP/dt = PQ for a valid matrix A where P is your transition matrix. You should then get the general solution P(t) = e^(tQ) for t >= 0. You can use properties of operator algebras for any general expression in terms of calculating or you can use some algebra to find closed for expression for p(i,j)(t).

3.141592654 said:

Do you understand the formula [itex] P(A) = \sum_{B} P(A| B) P(B) [/itex]?

The formula you quoted above is the same formula.

(In both formulas, the variable [itex] B [/itex] must range over a collection of mutually exclusive sets whose union contains [itex] A [/itex]. In problems, this collection of sets is usually a "partition" of the entire probability space. )

The notation "|" for "given" cannot be captured by the visual appearance of a Venn diagram. The event denoted by "[itex] X|Y [/itex] " and the event denoted by [itex] X \cap Y [/itex] are the same set of points.

The notation [itex] P(X|Y) [/itex] implies that we consider the "probability space" to be the set [itex] Y [/itex].

The notation [itex] P(X \cap Y) [/itex] implies that we consider the whole probability space to be whatever it is in the statement of the problem, before any conditions are mentioned.

Any "law" of probability like [itex] P(A^c) = 1 - P(A) [/itex] is understood to apply within some given probability space of "all possible outcomes". If we let [itex] S [/itex] represent this space then we could write [itex] P(A^c|S) = 1 - P(A|S) [/itex]. Usually we leave the space [itex] S [/itex] out of our notation.

The formula [itex] P(A) = \sum_{B} P(A|B) P(B) [/itex] applied when the probability space is [itex] C [/itex] becomes:

[itex] P(A|C) = \sum_{B} P( (A|B) | C) P(B|C) [/itex]

This leaves only the problem of interpreting [itex] P( (A|B) | C) [/itex]. We have to argue that this is the same as [itex] P(A | B \cap C) [/itex]. It might be a tangle of words to do so, but I hope it is intuitively clear.

1. What is conditional probability on intermediate event?

Conditional probability on intermediate event refers to the likelihood of an event happening given that another event has already occurred. It is used when there are multiple events happening in a sequence and we want to calculate the probability of one event happening based on the occurrence of another event.

2. How is conditional probability on intermediate event calculated?

Conditional probability on intermediate event is calculated by dividing the probability of the desired event occurring by the probability of the intermediate event occurring. This can be represented as P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where A is the desired event and B is the intermediate event.

3. What is the difference between conditional probability and joint probability?

The main difference between conditional probability and joint probability is that conditional probability takes into account the occurrence of another event, while joint probability considers the simultaneous occurrence of two or more events. Conditional probability is calculated based on the given information, while joint probability is calculated without any given information.

4. How is conditional probability on intermediate event useful in real life?

Conditional probability on intermediate event is useful in real life scenarios where there are multiple events happening in a sequence. For example, it can be used in medical testing to determine the probability of a disease given the results of a test. It is also used in financial analysis to calculate the probability of a stock price increasing or decreasing based on the performance of another stock.

5. What are some limitations of using conditional probability on intermediate event?

One limitation of using conditional probability on intermediate event is that it assumes independence between the events. In real life, events may be dependent on each other, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated probability. Additionally, conditional probability on intermediate event may not be applicable in situations where there are more than two events occurring in a sequence.